Remeber to advocate for yourself - it's so important as a DSer!!!

Huneypie
on 11/21/13 1:59 am - London, United Kingdom
DS on 07/24/12

I've just spent the last couple of weeks going backwards and forwards with my PCP over the phone saying that not enough tests have been requested for my upcoming bloodwork, with the regular answer that every test they're able to request has been ordered.

Anyways I finally managed to get to see my PCP and it turns out that one sheet was missing from what I should've been given!!

Bottom line - if you don't think that something's right then keep pushing... write letters (which I did as part of this), etc!!

End of PSA. kiss

Lowish BMI? See Lightweights Board! Lightweight Creed For more on DS see www.DSfacts.com
If you don't have peace, it isn't because someone took it from you; you gave it away. You cannot always control what happens to you, but you can control what happens in you John C Maxwell 
View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.comSleeve 2010 Dr López Corvala, Mexico. DS 2012 Dr Himpens, Belgium

I  my DS  

Amy, Daredevil
Extraordinaire

on 11/21/13 2:52 am - Los Angeles, CA
DS on 08/06/13

Thanks! I agree it's so important for us! My PCP never even heard of the DS. He had to Google it when I was in his office with him. And I'm sure he hasn't done any research beyond the Wikipedia article he read. So unfortunately, I am more informed about this surgery than he is. My surgeon (Dr. Keshishian) is much more informed (of course) about all the blood work we need, but I need to get those ordered by my PCP. Thankfully, he was willing to order any and every test I wanted.

I also am very grateful for OH. I have learned so much here that I never would have learned if I just listened to my PCP and surgeon. :)

*DS with Dr. Ara Keshishian on 08/06/13* SW: 231 CW: 131 GW: 119 * Check out My YouTube Channel: AmysDSJourney *

Huneypie
on 11/21/13 3:28 am - London, United Kingdom
DS on 07/24/12

Yes, I'd probably just be taking a couple of multis a day if it weren't for the vets ;-)

Lowish BMI? See Lightweights Board! Lightweight Creed For more on DS see www.DSfacts.com
If you don't have peace, it isn't because someone took it from you; you gave it away. You cannot always control what happens to you, but you can control what happens in you John C Maxwell 
View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.comSleeve 2010 Dr López Corvala, Mexico. DS 2012 Dr Himpens, Belgium

I  my DS  

mustlovepoodles
on 11/21/13 4:44 am
VSG on 12/31/13

You make an excellent point. I went to a support group meeting Tues night that is sponsored by my surgeon's practice.  The staff conducts the meetings and sometimes they bring in other speakers, so usually it's pretty good. This one was not so good for DSers. I was confused at first

I was confused at first. One of the staff members was giving a talk on making the most of the holidays and how to make good choices. She is 12 years post RNY. First she talked about the importance of getting all your veggies and whole grains in. Then she started with the low-fat, minimal cheese, all grilled chicken advice. And finally she strongly advised not using protein shakes after the first few weeks. I didn't feel comfortable saying anything, since I am pre-surgical AND there were about 60 people in the room. But why didn't any of the other DSers speak up?  Surely they're not eating all those carbs!

I can see that I am really going to have to advocate for myself at least where the diet was concerned. To give credit where credit is due, the speaker was very knowledgeable about the RNY,the sleeve, and the lap-band and I suppose her advise was really directed to them. If she had come out and said, "eat all the meat and cheese and sour cream and salad dressing" there probably would have been a riot.

HW: 229 ; SW: 208 (-21);  GW: 125

Wt. Loss:   M1: 189 -(19)  M2: 178 (-11)  M3: 172 (-5)  M4: 170 (-2)  M5: 166 (-4)

Huneypie
on 11/21/13 1:13 pm - London, United Kingdom
DS on 07/24/12
That's a case of knowing who to listen to and what works. Post op I was given a diet sheet with the heading of RNY diet instructions. I had to get my surgeon to confirm he did perform a DS which he did. I duly ignored the info.

I  my DS  

JazzyOne9254
on 11/22/13 8:37 am

Welcome to the world of the DSer. 

Unfortunately, not that much is going to change in terms of needing to advocate for yourself.  It's a fact of life for us - for the rest of our lives as post ops. We are the rarities among weight loss surgery patients.  While everybody else is going for the "gold standard" RNY..we go for Platinum!

YOu will need to self educate so you can be a good advocate for yourself post op.  This is not a surgery for shrinking violets...pretty much takes an "in your face" personality type to be successful with the DS, IMHO.

HW 405/SW 397/CW 138/GW 160  Do the research!  Check the stats!
The DS is *THE* solution to Severe Morbid Obesity!

ladybug513
on 11/21/13 7:24 am - NY

You are soooo right!  My PCP does not have a clue what a DS is and worse doesn't want to learn.  I brought a list of all of the tests I needed and he got frustrated as did his assistants and said I had to go directly to the lab to have my blood drawn because there would be too many tubes.  Totally frustrating.  Had to wait at the PCP's for over an hour until they were able to fill out a lab requisition.  Even my endocrinologist has no idea what a DS is or my needs.  And, I live in Manhattan.  This is ridiculous.  These doctors look at me like I'm from Mars.  blushHELP!  

First goal 120.0: 12/7/13  Final goal 115.0 (114.6):  2/6/14  

5'3  SW: 199 (12/11/11)  Current: 114.8 pounds  18% body fat   BMI: 20.3           

Huneypie
on 11/21/13 1:16 pm - London, United Kingdom
DS on 07/24/12
I know what you mean. My doc doesn't know what to do if I get a bad lab result. We have to keep coming on here to learn from the vets who thankfully share their knowledge.

I  my DS  

ladybug513
on 11/21/13 8:31 pm - NY

Yes, without the Vets most of us would be lost.  I don't feel so alone since I have all of you.  Much gratitude. 

First goal 120.0: 12/7/13  Final goal 115.0 (114.6):  2/6/14  

5'3  SW: 199 (12/11/11)  Current: 114.8 pounds  18% body fat   BMI: 20.3           

JazzyOne9254
on 11/22/13 8:50 am

Keep doing what you're doing!  You'll probably have to do it for the rest of your life. 

I have a 3" notebook binder  that I made up with a diagram of the surgery, list of labs and vites, and every lab I've had drawn since I was 6 months out.  I've made handouts for the doctors, and I have placed these in my medical file.

I take the notebook with me when I go for a visit to PCP, Rheumatologist, etc.  I was blessed to have a PCP who allowed me to teach her about the procedure, and she in turn is teaching others that it's not such a bad surgery, since I've been successful with it.  She often brings in med students (she teaches med school at a university here) and has me explain the DS to them, and tell them what I do to stay healthy, complications, etc.

My last surgeon visit is in May, after a 5 year follow.  She is doing a  long term study on the DS, and I was one of the subjects.

HW 405/SW 397/CW 138/GW 160  Do the research!  Check the stats!
The DS is *THE* solution to Severe Morbid Obesity!

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 145 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 687 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 237 views