Is there anything one can do to prevent hair loss?

sunshine1968
on 11/23/13 12:32 pm

I will be having the DS surgery in a week and I am wondering if there is anything I can do to prevent hair loss. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

BReyes1961
on 11/23/13 2:01 pm
DS on 12/16/13

I've heard taking Biotin helps with the hair loss.

PattyL
on 11/23/13 4:25 pm

I'm sure doing well on vites and protein helps but it's all individual.  I lost no hair but my sister was almost bald.  Hair loss is a common side effect of surgery.

dustycroy
on 11/23/13 7:25 pm
DS on 05/14/13
I am six months out from my DS, and am going through this right now. Started in month three, and has been going strong ever since. I did nine months of research before having the surgery, so I knew it was coming, I also knew some have it worse then others. I ordered some clip in hair extensions a couple of weeks ago, "foxylocks". I have longer hair. Some get haircuts to help hide the loss. I haven't done it so far. Im starting to feel the wind at the top of my head...uhg. I know it will grow back, "so they say", so I try and think of that. Its hard to feel so good in one way, "weightloss", and so crappy about loosing your hair. Whenever I lost weight before the surgery, I had problems looseing it, so it was an inevitable thing that was going to happen for me. I still have about eighty to ninty pounds to go, so I would like to know if I have to loose that first before it starts to grow back, or when its going to happen... frustrated!

enlightened HW 372 SW 350 CW 185 GW 150 Lost 187 so far....

southernlady5464
on 11/23/13 9:04 pm

Make sure you get all your protein and vitamins...biotin is suppose to help BUT all it did for me was grow CHIN HAIR! Mostly just be aware that it happens to most of us. I dealt with it by cutting my hair short for the first time in my life...a good stylist can make most thin hair look a bit thicker.

But even having my hair then was SO worth the surgery. BTW, it's not just WLS but any surgery that does this. I'm getting ready for another round of losing hair...had back surgery a month ago and I typically hit it at 4-5 months. :)

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

hollykim
on 11/24/13 10:43 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

sorry to say,the only two things you can do,is not have surgery or have surgery with no anesthesia,since it is the anesthesia that causes the hair loss. Your body has to do what it has to do,but very few have gone bald and if they say they have ,I want to see the pics before I will believe it.  :)

GL

_Donna_
on 11/30/13 4:46 am

Anesthesia has absolutely nothing to do with hair loss. I have had many, many surgeries and never lost any hair.

My surgeon said that hair loss is caused by the hormones released from the fat you are losing.

RNY 5-5-2011

hollykim
on 11/30/13 9:25 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

I believe you are mistaken and should check the facts. I have had 8 surgeries and lost hair every time. There are certainly other reasons for. Hair loss ,including hormones shifts,but anesthesia is  Also a cause.

Valerie G.
on 11/25/13 6:21 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
  • Don't have any surgery
  • Don't have any children
  • Don't put yourself through any physical or emotional trauma

Each of these causes a phenomena called Telogen Effluvium, which reboots your hairs growth cycle.  There will be new follicles pushing out the old.  No special vitamin or shampoo will prevent this.  It occurs about 3 mos after the trauma, lasts a couple of months and your body continues on with the new growth cycle and the shedding stops.  Don't waste your money on any magic potions, it's just gonna happen, and to what degree depends on the person.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

sunshine1968
on 11/25/13 1:23 pm

I had some wicked stress a few years ago from a death in my family and loss a TON of hair. I recently read an article that spoke about the connection between ferritin levels dropping below 40 and hair loss also so I decided to check my labs from that time period and low and behold my ferritin took a dive for the first time in years. I found that interesting...Some my hair has grown back but it's never been the same. I was just curious if there was anything I can do but it sounds like there isn't much that will prevent it.

Most Active
Recent Topics
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 6 replies · 363 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 135 views
How can I gain weight?
DEJanieT · 7 replies · 1051 views