Questions questions and more questions

Julie M.
on 12/1/13 6:47 am - Colorado Springs, CO

I have the lap band but it had unsuccessful results.  I am considering the removal of the lap band and the duodenal switch instead.  Is it possible? is it worth it? Is it even doable?

Beam me up Scottie
on 12/1/13 7:16 am
It is something that is done quite often. There have been a lot of statistics thrown around regarding the band, but for most people it is highly unsuccessful and eventually needs to be removed.

My advice would be to seek out a good DS surgeon in your area. I had the DS years ago...and it was the best decision I ever made.
PattyL
on 12/1/13 12:06 pm

Most lap bands are failures.  They just don't work.

Make sure you see a REAL DS surgeon.  Many play bait and don't switch by claiming to do the DS and when you see them they try to talk you into the RNY or just a sleeve.  And don't buy into the 2 part thing either.

nativenewyorker64
on 12/2/13 12:47 am - UT

I had two lap bands and then the ds. Best decision I have ever made.

Lyss Remaly
on 12/2/13 1:44 am - Wheeling, IL

I had the exact same thing!  The crapband was removed and I had the DS.  It absolutely is the best decision I ever made and absolutely worth it!

MsBatt
on 12/2/13 4:01 am

Very do-able. Have you been to http://www.dsfacts.com? You can find a list of vetted DS surgeons there.

LupitaChin
on 12/2/13 8:49 pm

The crap band worked for me (lost about 100 lbs) but then I got pregnant and it went to hell. With pregnancy vomiting it eroded and by the time I delivered I couldn't swallow

water. Even at its best it just made me want hot chocolate and Cheetos because they were one of a few foods I could actually eat... Even though I lost weight it was SO unhealthy. The DS is night/day different! Instead of dr assisted bulimia I can now eat anything (most anything) just not a lot of it. Now I can eat protein and I rarely feel hungry and I always felt like I was starving with the band (probably cause it was!) anyway, good luck with your journey! I love my DS so I definitely recommend it to anyone wondering :)

ElijahsMama
on 12/6/13 5:34 am
On December 3, 2013 at 4:49 AM Pacific Time, LupitaChin wrote:

The crap band worked for me (lost about 100 lbs) but then I got pregnant and it went to hell. With pregnancy vomiting it eroded and by the time I delivered I couldn't swallow

water. Even at its best it just made me want hot chocolate and Cheetos because they were one of a few foods I could actually eat... Even though I lost weight it was SO unhealthy. The DS is night/day different! Instead of dr assisted bulimia I can now eat anything (most anything) just not a lot of it. Now I can eat protein and I rarely feel hungry and I always felt like I was starving with the band (probably cause it was!) anyway, good luck with your journey! I love my DS so I definitely recommend it to anyone wondering :)

I could have wrote that exact thing. That was exactly my experience too!!!

larra
on 12/3/13 4:40 am - bay area, CA

Lots of people get rid of their lap bands because the failure rate is very high, and it is often not well tolerated and leads to a very unhealthy diet (as well as poor weight loss). As you can already see from the replies you are getting, it absolutely can be revised to DS, and with excellent results. The key is to get yourself to a surgeon who does the DS, and for that you will need to travel, so might as well accept that from the get go. You can find the best list of genuine DS surgeons at dsfacts.com (which is presently in the process of updating but still the best info around).

The good news for you is that any surgeon who does the DS will probably also do lap band to DS revisions. While there will be scar tissue to deal with, it's usually a lot easier than revising from gastric bypass to DS, which can be done but is very difficult. So you have an advantage there.

The Ds has the best statistics of any bariatric surgery not just for weight loss, but also for maintenance of that weight loss and for resolution of almost all comorbidities. So to your question of is it worth it, I would say, absolutely!

Larra

ElijahsMama
on 12/6/13 5:30 am

I am a lapband to DS revision. I am only 3 weeks post-op but I am doing great. My surgery went well, and I have lost 48 lbs so far. (16 on pre-op diet). I am very anal about tracking my protein. fat, fluid intake, carbs and calories. I weigh every day, and I measure inches. I may even be a bit obsessive about it, but honestly...I don't mind. I have spent 95% of my adult life at least overweight. I am determined to lose the weight, and keep it off.

Dsfacts.com was VERY helpful to me. Check it out and ask tons of questions. You can be sucessful! The crapband should be removed as an option...in my opinion.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 258 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 738 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 246 views