high parathyroid levels

Kaitlin D.
on 12/9/13 7:53 pm
Just wondering if anyone has had high parathyroid levels come up in labs?

If you want to get somewhere you have to know where you want to go and how to get there. Then never, never, never, give up!

HW/256 SW/248 CW/137 GW/140

*goal reached in 8 months*

* Proud Mommy to Parker Joseph 4/27/13 *

Huneypie
on 12/10/13 1:00 am - London, United Kingdom
DS on 07/24/12

I did, but my PTH came back down normal thanks to MajorMom's advice of doing strontium, 500-600 mcg K2, dry vitamin D3 of 100,000 and 6x600mg of calcium citrate/calcium microcristalline hydroxyapatite (I mix and match, but never do more than 3 batches of calcium citrate.

I had blood work done about 3 months apart and it came down in that time.

I do basic Vitalady for everything else (well extra zinc and I'm probably getting iron infusions as I don't get on too great with oral iron - cramps and I don't absorb it well anyway).

I was already doing 6 calcium batches so the real change was the K2 (I was doing about 200mcg previously), doubling my D to 100,000 and being more consistent with strontium

Lowish BMI? See Lightweights Board! Lightweight Creed For more on DS see www.DSfacts.com
If you don't have peace, it isn't because someone took it from you; you gave it away. You cannot always control what happens to you, but you can control what happens in you John C Maxwell 
View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.comSleeve 2010 Dr López Corvala, Mexico. DS 2012 Dr Himpens, Belgium

I  my DS  

Huneypie
on 12/10/13 1:06 am, edited 12/10/13 1:16 am - London, United Kingdom
DS on 07/24/12

You should probably post your calcium, PTH and vit D levels so folk can look at them together (if you have a bone panel section on your results then that section as I'm probably missing an important lab in my list).

How are you supplementing at present?  I kind of assume all DSers are at least supplementing to the basic Vitalady program - please describe if this isn't the case, ie you are taking calcium citrate/MCHC and not calcium carbonate, are you taking magnesium citrate, etc?

Lowish BMI? See Lightweights Board! Lightweight Creed For more on DS see www.DSfacts.com
If you don't have peace, it isn't because someone took it from you; you gave it away. You cannot always control what happens to you, but you can control what happens in you John C Maxwell 
View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.comSleeve 2010 Dr López Corvala, Mexico. DS 2012 Dr Himpens, Belgium

I  my DS  

hollykim
on 12/10/13 5:32 am, edited 12/11/13 2:17 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

a high parathyroid level means your body is leaching calcium from your bones and teeth because there is not enough in your blood stream..

you need to address your calcium and 

Vitamin d levels among several others

Huneypie
on 12/11/13 12:43 am - London, United Kingdom
DS on 07/24/12

"you need to address you csl ohm amd got d levels among several others"

Hi Holly, is the above a funny keyboard moment or labs I've not heard of?  You never can tell with abbreviations ;-)  Thanks.

I  my DS  

Amy W.
on 12/11/13 5:25 am - Buckeye, AZ
On December 10, 2013 at 1:32 PM Pacific Time, hollykim wrote:

a high parathyroid level means your body is leaching calcium from your bones and teeth because there is not enough in your blood stream..

you need to address your calcium and 

Vitamin d levels among several others

YES. This! I wish I knew all of this before I had to do all this expensive thyroid testing.

5" 7' -  HW: 328 Current: I stay around 155 :) 
"...Because when you stop and look around, this life is pretty amazing."

JazzyOne9254
on 12/10/13 6:45 am, edited 12/10/13 6:46 am

I second the first line of Holly Kim's post!  Bone leaching leads to osteopenia, which if not addressed, leads to osteoporosis.

I have struggled with high PTH since I was 6 months out, got it down, and its been up and down ever since.

The solution for me was more calcium, and especially calcium in liquid form. That gets it down, then I switch to OTC Calcium Citrate+D (600mg per dose) to equal 3000mg daily  per my doctor's instructions.  I take it together with an equal amount of Magnesium citrate, and since I am also low in Vitamin D, I take 100,000 IU Vit. D daily, in split doses of one    50, 000 IU capsule twice daily.  I restate: this is what worked for me...it may or may not work for you.

I have ordered strontium, and awaiting its delivery, but really, the basic stuff in the above paragraph has helped me immensely.  I believe strontium will help my regimen become even more effective.

HW 405/SW 397/CW 138/GW 160  Do the research!  Check the stats!
The DS is *THE* solution to Severe Morbid Obesity!

Most Active
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 41 views
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 41 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 618 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 227 views