B O

scaryreader
on 12/20/13 11:42 am - Chicago, IL

Why do some DSers have an offensive body odor? My daughter always says I smell "funny". I've always been very particular about my hygiene. My doc said it's ketosis. What can I do? I've read other posters with this problem. Does anyone have a solution?

Eve
hw:400+
sw:340
cw:163

Irishnurse
on 12/20/13 1:18 pm
DS on 04/17/13

It will go away. Mine did not last long and was barely noticeable. I am sure it just depends on the person. 

SW-340, CW-164, GW-150, 14 pounds to go...

fullhousemom
on 12/20/13 9:48 pm
If you had your DS in 2006, then I dont know if ketosis is the culprit. I was a little "stinky" for a short period of time early on, but it didnt last long at all.

I have a couple of non-DS friends who are, well, smelly! I blame it on their choice of hair and body products. Even laundry detergent can make a difference.
jashley
on 12/21/13 8:26 am
DS on 12/19/12

That is interesting.  I do chew gum because ketosis gives us terrible breathe, but I was not aware that the smell would ooze from our pores as well.

One thing that might help is vigerous exercise to get the sweat really going.  That will leach the stuff out of your skin.  Then take a hot shower with a clean smelling soap (or maybe Irish Spring?) that strips the oil a bit off the skin so you can get that stuff up out of the skin.  Then put moisturizer on after the bath/shower.

As my doctor told me years ago when I complained about the really bad breathe - eat some carbs to slow down the burning of fat as fuel.  I didn't want to, but the stench of fat burning is so strong - even gum wasn't enough.

* Gail R *
on 12/22/13 10:48 am - SF Bay Area, CA

I highly doubt that you are in ketosis. My kids claim that I have a bad smell especially from my breath. I have had everything checked out dentally and medically and there's nothing. After some internet research I found that stomach bacteria can be the cause and that taking a large course of probiotic can get it under control. It has helps for me but I must stay on a maintenance dose of probiotic to keep it away.

~Gail R~  high wt.288,  surg wt 274, LW 143, CW 153,  GW164

Sheanie
on 12/22/13 11:56 am

Try a good quality probiotic such as Florastor.  It might take a week to see a difference.  Don't tell anyone you're taking it to make sure it's really working.  Of course, like another person already said, you really want to rule out dental issues as the problem, and see your regular doctor.  But I agree at your stage it isn't ketosis.

I.  am.  not.  a.  doctor.

HW 250ish  SW 219  CW 110  LW 100

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 232 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 726 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 243 views