Pregnancy and Medication absorption after the DS?

HKFandora
on 1/14/14 7:14 am

Two part question. I thought there was a pregnant section here. I didn't see it. Any who I wanted to know how it is malabsorption wise with the DS and pregnancy?  Also is there malabsorption of medications ?

dustycroy
on 1/14/14 9:21 am
DS on 05/14/13
As far as medication goes Ive heard it affects some people, and some it doesn't. I take Synthroid for my low thyroid, and there was someone else on here that does to, so before I had my DS I read her post and got really worried, because after her Ds she had to like quadrouple her dosage, and even take it twice a day....ugh. I have a hard time taking it anyway, so this bit of imformation really had me scared. Turns out I take exactly the same amount and it just didn't affect me in the same way....Thank you lord. I got lucky on that one... So it is just one of those things you have to wait and see about....

enlightened HW 372 SW 350 CW 185 GW 150 Lost 187 so far....

Valerie G.
on 1/15/14 2:28 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

There's no exact level to depend on, so for those on long-term medications, it's a little trial and error to find the right balance, if any change is needed at all.  I've noticed no difference in using anything OTC like aleve or benedryl.

For pregnancy, you want to keep in mind that the baby will take what it needs from the mother, so the mother gets what is left.  You will likely be treated as a high risk patient (watched more closely than usual) and tweek your labs to make up for what baby takes, but there have been several successful DS pregnancies.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

T Lady
on 1/15/14 2:30 am
As far as malabsorption and pregnancy, well, some things can go downhill fast, since the baby takes from our stores. My iron was especially sensitive. I didn't change my DS vitamin schedule much, but I did tweak it depending on the labs that I was getting every 3 months.

I also just made sure to constantly nibble. I figured many women have such terrible morning sickness that they don't get much to stay down anyway. I was constantly nibbling on protein. I never experienced morning sickness, so I figured my intake was close to someone who barely gets anything nutritious in.

As far a medications, I always get the rapid release kind. They are easier for us to absorb. Slow release usually has coating to keep them intact in the system longer. For my allergy meds, I can most certainly tell a difference between the slow release and fast release.

Original DS-1/07/09- Dr. Simper, SW: 286, LW:170, Post-op HW:194

Hiatal Hernia Repair & Revised DS to Hess Method-1/29/14- Dr. Keshishian, SW:194, CW:176, GW:130ish

PCOS w/ 2 post DS pregnancies!

HKFandora
on 1/15/14 2:31 am

Thanks for the responses. Is DS the only one that would be considered high risk or is it all bariatric or just the ones with malabsorption?

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 247 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 733 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 244 views