heartburn

Scarlet32blue
on 1/22/14 2:08 pm
DS on 12/31/13

3 weeks out and just started having major Heartburn with anything even water anyone else had this issue? any suggestions?

Cecy

MajorMom
on 1/22/14 6:18 pm - VA

The way I've handled it is with over the counter antacids. For the first year I just needed to keep liquid antacid in the bathroom where I could chug some if the heartburn got bad during the night. I'm not sure what year post-op but eventually I started taking an OTC antacid tablet (Zantac 150) at bedtime. In the past 6 months or so I started having more heartburn during the day and tried increasing the Zantac to 2 sometimes 3 per day at different times and I was still having trouble. Latest thing that seems to be working is a 2-week course of Zegerid. I've been on it for almost a week and have only had to take 1 or 2 Zantac for breakthrough heartburn. Zegerid isn't for immediate relief as Zantac is, I think the combo is working well right now.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

fullhousemom
on 1/22/14 9:26 pm
I never had heartburn pre-op, but shortly after surgery I had it. My surgeon geve me an Rx...the one he preferred wasn't covered under my insurance and was over $200. He wrote me a different Rx, though I cant remember what it was.

I remember asking him if I could double it, because the rx was just not working. I did double it for a brief time, but after the rx was over, I relied on tums. I bought a big container at Sam's as thatts how desperate I was. The heartburn went away in a short time, and I still have those tums. For me, it was really bad, then gradually resolved itself in say, the first three months. I very rarely take anything for heartburn anymore.
Valerie G.
on 1/22/14 9:46 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

This seems pretty common the first year, so much that many surgeons start patients out the gate with an Rx  for it.  If they don't give you one, try Prilosec for a bit.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

PSaadallah
on 2/6/14 10:57 am - Arlington, TX
DS on 12/15/12

I rarely have heartburn during the day, but wake up with serious heartburn about 3-4 times a week.  I take prescription Pantoprazole twice a day.  I've tried to figure out what does/doesn't cause the heartburn, but have never really isolated anything.  I just have plenty of Tums around the house and in my purse for travel!

Most Active
Recent Topics
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 6 replies · 362 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 135 views
How can I gain weight?
DEJanieT · 7 replies · 1051 views