bloody diarrhea 2 days post op

shart4
on 2/1/14 8:48 am - TX

My husband had the DS on Thursday, January 30, 2014.  This morning in the hospital he had a very bloody bowel movement and has had a second one since he has been home.  The nurse said this was to be expected, but I hadn't read anything about it on here.  Advise as to how long this should last?  Did anyone else have bleeding post op?  Thanks in advance.

(deactivated member)
on 2/1/14 9:12 am
Is the blood dark red or a bright red? It is not uncommon with gut surgeries to have some blood pass with the first BM or two. I had this happen early post op as well. Typically if the blood is residual from the surgery it will be very dark to almost black in color. A bright red may indicate something more concerning.

Your husband has had major work done to his insides that will take some time to heal. Your best bet is to call and ask to talk to the surgeon and see what his opinion is or go in and see him.

I wish you the best. Good luck on this journey. It will be a journey for the both of you....

SH
shart4
on 2/1/14 9:15 am - TX

Thank you, sh

jashley
on 2/2/14 10:25 am
DS on 12/19/12

Second this opinion.  I was also bleeding from the BMs themselves - torn anal rim from the constant swings of constipation to diarrhea and back. 

I paid attention to the bleeds but didn't get too excited unless it didn't stop.

shart4
on 2/2/14 10:43 am - TX

Thank you! It isn't as bright today. 

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 295 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 767 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 254 views