In the hospital with bowel obstruction.....

dustycroy
on 4/8/14 6:10 pm
DS on 05/14/13
Feeling sooo much better now. 99% sure I'll be going home tomorrow. Started late Sunday night... horrific pain. I knew it wasn't kidney stones "pain was more in my front instead of my back". 2 hours later after a couple hot baths, and throwing up my husband took me to the hospital. I was so tired out from beathing through the pain, I couldn't take it anymore... Then it took another couple of hours for them to "size" me up and make sure I wasn't just there for pain meds uhg...really??? I could just tell that's what it was. After watching me throw up, and beg for them to do something they sent me for a cat scan. When they found the obstruction I was then transferred to a different hospital. They put a line down my nose to suction out the contents of my stomach and bowel. Then I was told that we would give it some time to see if taking the pressure off of my bowel would lead to it correcting itself. It took awhile but Im passing gas today and my pain is all gone, and at the moment Im waiting for my first poo.... If all goes well I should go home tomorrow.... I have to admit Im going to be nervous for awhile. That was an experience that I could do without going through ever again,,, On a positive note, If I ever experience one again, I know exactly what it feels like, and will get my butt to the hospital a lot faster...

enlightened HW 372 SW 350 CW 185 GW 150 Lost 187 so far....

MajorMom
on 4/8/14 6:48 pm - VA

I hope you never have one again as well. I'm glad you got there as soon as you did. Take care.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

dustycroy
on 4/9/14 8:46 am
DS on 05/14/13
Thank you Gina.......

nativenewyorker64
on 4/8/14 8:13 pm - UT

That sounds terrible. I'm glad you are on the mend. What causes bowel obstructions? Is it DS related?

dustycroy
on 4/9/14 8:52 am
DS on 05/14/13
Yes, Im glad it is all over.... It has to do more with adhesions "scaring" in your abdominal caviety, that can be brought on by multible abdominal surgeries. Ive ha four including the DS. On the other hand people that have never had surgery can get it to. I have had problems with adhesions in the past, but never a bowel obstruction,,, nervous...

MsBatt
on 4/10/14 3:29 pm
On April 9, 2014 at 3:13 AM Pacific Time, nativenewyorker64 wrote:

That sounds terrible. I'm glad you are on the mend. What causes bowel obstructions? Is it DS related?

Any sort of abdominal surgery can cause adhesions, and adhesions can cause bowel obstructions. So yes, in a way it's DS-related, but just in the sense that the DS is an abdominal surgery.

Amy, Daredevil
Extraordinaire

on 4/9/14 12:14 am - Los Angeles, CA
DS on 08/06/13

Wow - glad you're feeling better! I know bowel obstructions can happen to anyone (even non-WLS people), but is there something we can do to prevent one?

*DS with Dr. Ara Keshishian on 08/06/13* SW: 231 CW: 131 GW: 119 * Check out My YouTube Channel: AmysDSJourney *

dustycroy
on 4/9/14 8:53 am
DS on 05/14/13
Thank you. Not to my knowledge......

Huneypie
on 4/9/14 2:19 am - London, United Kingdom
DS on 07/24/12

And you didn't need surgery?  I'm so sorry you've been unwell and hope you make a full recovery ASAP.

Having the contents of your bowels suctioned out through your nostrils must be awful!!

Lowish BMI? See Lightweights Board! Lightweight Creed For more on DS see www.DSfacts.com
If you don't have peace, it isn't because someone took it from you; you gave it away. You cannot always control what happens to you, but you can control what happens in you John C Maxwell 
View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.comSleeve 2010 Dr López Corvala, Mexico. DS 2012 Dr Himpens, Belgium

I  my DS  

dustycroy
on 4/9/14 8:57 am
DS on 05/14/13
I was very blessed it turned out that way. Im glad I didn't need surgery because when it was all said and done with the Dr. admitted that it made her nervous. uhg, really? Not exactly something you really want to hear. At least she was honest...

Most Active
Recent Topics
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 6 replies · 356 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 133 views
How can I gain weight?
DEJanieT · 7 replies · 1049 views