What does this mean for my common channel?

Amy W.
on 4/15/14 12:24 am - Buckeye, AZ
I requested my medical records from Dr. Keshishian's office because I've been wondering for 9 years how long my common channel is. I found this information and was wondering if someone could tell me if this says how long the intestine is that actually absorbs nutrients and such? From what I think I can tell, my common channel is 200cm? If so, what does that mean? Is that long?

Small bowel was then measured in a retrograde fashion measuring 800 cm from the ileocecal valve. Stitches were placed at 50-cm and 250-cm marking from the ileocecal valve. The small bowel was then divided at 250-cm marking using endo-GIA stapler. The mesentery was divided using harmonic scalpel. The proximal end of the divided small bowel was then brought down to the lett of the mesentery and a side-to-side anastomosis was created with two sequential rows of
endo-GIA stapler tiring in opposite directions. The opening in the small bowel was closed with a blue cartridge stapler in a non-narrowing fashion. The defect in the mesentery was closed with a running stitch of 3-0 Vicryl on both sides. The Thompson retractor was repositioned. Our attention was then directed to the right upper quadrant.
The duodenum was dissected approximately 5 cm distal to the pylorus. Duodenum was transected using a green cartridge endo·GIA stapler. The distal end of the divided small bowel at
the 250-cm marking was then brought up in a retrocolic plane to the right of the middle colic artery in a avascular space. An end-to-side anastomosis was created between post pyloric duodenum and the small bowel brought up.

5" 7' -  HW: 328 Current: I stay around 155 :) 
"...Because when you stop and look around, this life is pretty amazing."

Amy, Daredevil
Extraordinaire

on 4/15/14 3:11 am - Los Angeles, CA
DS on 08/06/13

200 cm seems kind of long. Dr. K made mine 75 cm. But I would ask him to tell you how long it is. (I wouldn't be able to interpret from those notes.)

*DS with Dr. Ara Keshishian on 08/06/13* SW: 231 CW: 131 GW: 119 * Check out My YouTube Channel: AmysDSJourney *

Amy W.
on 4/15/14 5:41 am, edited 4/15/14 5:42 am - Buckeye, AZ
I live in AZ now so I can't go see him anytime soon (if ever). Would he tell me by phone? (Or have one of his office staff tell me?!) I'm desperate!

Amy, Daredevil
Extraordinaire

on 4/15/14 5:43 am - Los Angeles, CA
DS on 08/06/13

I'm pretty sure he could tell you by phone or even email. Try calling his office.

Good luck!

*DS with Dr. Ara Keshishian on 08/06/13* SW: 231 CW: 131 GW: 119 * Check out My YouTube Channel: AmysDSJourney *

Amy W.
on 4/15/14 5:43 am - Buckeye, AZ
Right?! 200cc seems ridiculous so that's probably not right. How can I ask him how long it is now that I'm in AZ?!

Huneypie
on 4/15/14 3:14 am - London, United Kingdom
DS on 07/24/12

I can only really speak about your CC and 200cm is long for a DSer but you're maintaining really well so it's obviously not an issue for you.  You should have less issues with vitamins, or less than you would have with a shorter common channel.

100cm tends to be quite a common length I've seen posted.

Lowish BMI? See Lightweights Board! Lightweight Creed For more on DS see www.DSfacts.com
If you don't have peace, it isn't because someone took it from you; you gave it away. You cannot always control what happens to you, but you can control what happens in you John C Maxwell 
View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.comSleeve 2010 Dr López Corvala, Mexico. DS 2012 Dr Himpens, Belgium

I  my DS  

Amy W.
on 4/15/14 5:40 am - Buckeye, AZ
I'm struggling a LOT right now. Ever since I started "trying" to actually "diet" it's a constant struggle, and now I just can't find a balance! I neeeeeed to know how long my common channel is! I don't know of they'll tell me anything over the phone and I live in AZ now. What do I dooooooo?! 😩

Herman
on 4/15/14 4:17 am
On April 15, 2014 at 7:24 AM Pacific Time, Amy W. wrote:
I requested my medical records from Dr. Keshishian's office because I've been wondering for 9 years how long my common channel is. I found this information and was wondering if someone could tell me if this says how long the intestine is that actually absorbs nutrients and such? From what I think I can tell, my common channel is 200cm? If so, what does that mean? Is that long?

Small bowel was then measured in a retrograde fashion measuring 800 cm from the ileocecal valve. Stitches were placed at 50-cm and 250-cm marking from the ileocecal valve. The small bowel was then divided at 250-cm marking using endo-GIA stapler. The mesentery was divided using harmonic scalpel. The proximal end of the divided small bowel was then brought down to the lett of the mesentery and a side-to-side anastomosis was created with two sequential rows of
endo-GIA stapler tiring in opposite directions. The opening in the small bowel was closed with a blue cartridge stapler in a non-narrowing fashion. The defect in the mesentery was closed with a running stitch of 3-0 Vicryl on both sides. The Thompson retractor was repositioned. Our attention was then directed to the right upper quadrant.
The duodenum was dissected approximately 5 cm distal to the pylorus. Duodenum was transected using a green cartridge endo·GIA stapler. The distal end of the divided small bowel at
the 250-cm marking was then brought up in a retrocolic plane to the right of the middle colic artery in a avascular space. An end-to-side anastomosis was created between post pyloric duodenum and the small bowel brought up.

The ileoceca valve is the valve that connects the small intestine to the large intestine, so the way I read it you have a 50cm cc not 200cm. But to be sure you should call the surgeons office.

Lap-band 2007
 DS 2009
Chris Mitchell
on 4/15/14 10:00 am

I am sure you can call, just ask them to help you understand the surgical report.

Chris M. - Highest Weight = 397 lbs, Start of Program = 386 lbs, Day of Surgery = 360 lbs

YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/Vinnero0

Amy W.
on 4/15/14 1:14 pm - Buckeye, AZ
I called and talked to the nice office lady. She said she'd ask Dr. K and call me tomorrow. *excited*
Last time I called (a couple years ago?) I asked for a copy of the labs i'm supposed to have and they said he wouldn't give them to me unless I came to see him first. That's why I haven't called before about this because I just assumed I'd have to go and see him for any info at all. It still could be that way though? We'll see what happens tomorrow...

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 295 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 767 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 254 views