Absorption of an egg, for example...

Susan M.
on 4/22/14 3:25 pm
On April 22, 2014 at 10:17 PM Pacific Time, Amy W. wrote:
My weight fluctuates so much it's ridiculous. A few weeks ago (or less) I was 155. Then I was 161, then 164, now today I'm 161. It's ridiculous. My gut flora is all messed up from 3 rounds of antibiotics and whatever else is going on in there. I have an endoscopy Friday because something just isn't right. Plus I'm constantly gassy and get really constipated now (which is something I've NEVER dealt with before. )
I wish I was a normal person that can track their calories taken in and have them be accurate without all this constant uncertainty (from the malabsorption) and constant stomach issues. :/

Is it possible that your gas/constipation issues are the cause for the weight fluctuations?  I was gaining/losing up to 30lbs in water weight from swelling in my legs.  So depending on water retention/bloating/constipation this could be what it's all about.  

Also, bulimia is a very *very* good way of screwing with your digestive system.  I had about 7 ulcers the last time I had an endoscopy while I was dealing with my disorders.  Your gut slows way down, and then has to throw it's self into overdrive.  If you don't have a professional to talk to, get one now.  If you get the eating patterns fixed, you might be able to prevent the sliding slope.

chevtow41
on 4/22/14 9:09 pm
DS on 11/11/14

I haven't had surgery yet but isn't it possible that it's just normal fluctuation. I've read many places that you shouldn't weigh yourself every day because you can fluctuate 5-10lbs daily.

Also you said you started gaining weight after working out. #1- is it possible you started eating more because you were hungry after all your exercise? Or #2- perhaps your workouts were causing you to lean up with more muscle, gaining weight but actually losing inches? #3- perhaps you've just fallen back into pre surgery mindset of driving yourself mental about your weight ( like all of us) and subconsciously eating worse?

bulimia is scary and with the water weight you'll still gain inches and weight( my wife was bulimic). I hope you find the help and answers you are searching for.

I know this sounds stupid but keep your chin up :) I bet if you forget about it for 2 weeks and just live life , I know that's damn near impossible, you'd probably straighten right out. At least I hope so. We are all here for you, I don't have 1st hand knowledge yet but you can count on my positive thoughts and words. 

Think positive :)  :)  :)

SharonG
on 4/28/14 1:15 am - Arlington, VA

Amy, 

I get the confusion. Those of us further out can't use the same math that newbies use.  I would say my fat absorption is closer to 70 or 80%.  People forget that our bodies adapt and get better at absorbing as time passes.  While we never fully regain all the absorption we had pre-op, we do adapt and absorb more (exception is vitamins - because of where we are transected).  

I am 11 years post op.  A couple years ago, I started gaining without really eating differently.  It has been a series of adjustments since then.  And while I have not figured out a good way to lose more than a few pounds at a time, I have figured out what it takes for me to not gain at this point.  It's not very different from where it used to be pre-op.  In order to not gain, I need to stay away from the sweets, limit the carbs and, preferably, focus on complex carbs when I do eat them.  I can't eat fat and protein with abandon, but can eat more of it than I could pre-op.  In my first 8 years or so post op, it was not unusual to get in 120 grams of protein in a day and not gain weight.  I tried to go back with that with super low carb and high fat and gained weight!  Now, I am aiming for 80-100 grams max of protein a day, moderate fat, lower carb.  I am not gaining, which is good, but still haven't figured out the point where I can lose again.  

All of this to say YMMV (your mileage may vary).  Rather than follow all the DS math stuff that goes around, I would suggest you just pay attention to your body and how it reacts to food.  I am learning that the old saying about the DS is true - if you have seen one DS, you have seen one DS - we all seem to have different experiences with common themes!

Best wishes.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 271 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 745 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 250 views