Vit-D injections

Amy W.
on 4/24/14 1:17 am - Buckeye, AZ
My pcp said she's never heard of Vit-D injections. I was referred to a hematologist for my iron infusions and I asked him about the Vit-D at my initial appt. He said he doesn't have the authority to give me/order Vit-D injections, and he said I can get my Vit-D levels up by taking a 50,000iu pill once a week. I tried to explain that that isn't anywhere near enough and my surgeon bypassed a LOT of my intestine. He said no, your surgeon could have only bypassed a couple feet at most and you still absorb everything fine. I said "what?! No, I had the duodenal switch and he bypassed most of my intestine..." He looked at me crazy and "assured" me there was no way my surgeon bypassed more than a foot or 2 of intestine, and said if he DID bypass more then my surgeon obviously didn't know what he doing. I can't staaaaand how ignorant and ****y he is! I was so ready to punch him!!!!!
ANYWAYS, my question is... how do I get Vit-D injections?

5" 7' -  HW: 328 Current: I stay around 155 :) 
"...Because when you stop and look around, this life is pretty amazing."

Amy W.
on 4/24/14 1:20 am - Buckeye, AZ
PS- This is also why I wanted my surgery report to see how long my common channel is but it didn't say. I called Dr. K and he said there isn't a set length, everyone's body is different. Idk what to do... (How to find out). I posted the #'s on this forum and no one knew what it meant.

clutterbunny
on 4/24/14 3:32 am - CA

I live in CA, so I was able to drive to Dr. K's office in Glendale to get my injection.  Only one dr. here in Bakersfield does them and he isn't my PCP.  It brought my levels up from 4 to 54....I take 100,000iu a day, most days, when I remember and/or don't run out and have to wait until payday.  

PattyL
on 4/24/14 4:47 am

Send Dr. K an email and explain your problem.  Ask him what he thinks you should do.

You can understand a doc not knowing or understanding your DS.  But your hemo is too dumb to figure out he is ignorant.  Too bad!

airbender
on 4/24/14 10:14 am

save your breath, any dr that orders vit d rx in oil base really has no idea what they are talking about...end of that story.  for the vit d injections I took them for a couple of years since my vit d tanked...umm your hematologist is a moron....doesn't have the authority, I mean if s/he said didn't know but to say doesn't have the authority, that is just a lie?    ANYONE who can prescribe can prescribe vit d injections.....just because a dr has not heard of the DS doesn't mean it doesn't exist...same as vit d injections, your best bet it to search for a naturopathy or you yourself search for a compounding pharmacy and they can give you names of drs in your area.   my rx is for Vit D3 300,000 IU/mL, I would self adjust, started at 300K, then 450K, then up to 600K.  I have not taken one since last year as my level is nice an high now, only take 50K biotech dry/day.  so ANY dr can order it at ANY compounding pharmacy.  many compounding pharmacies also do free mail order.  the trick is just like anything else, deciding how much to inject...trial an error, it will depend on your current level, age, gender etc....don't listen to those idiots who say they cant order it....this ****** me off because so many told me no till I figured out they just ha NO idea what hey were talking about....like your case...

KarenRW
on 4/26/14 10:40 am - Stockton, CA

Amy, so sorry for your frustration with your vitamin D. What is it now if I may ask?. My D is at 48 right now. It was at 52 and that was after my D injection in January '13. It had been at 30.  I want it a lot higher. I have fibromyalgia also and I read that with a high D like at 80 it would greatly benefit me and my fibro symptoms. You had Dr. K also like me? I was recently in touch with Dr. K and he offered me to travel down to Delano for an injection with Dr. Moon or of course to Glendale with himself. I do not drive long distances, but someone I know up here offered to drive me down as she also needs an injection. I have a compounding pharmacy up here an hour from me who will compound the special injection, but need a dr. to order it. My PCP does not know anything about this injection, but I was told to have him call Dr. K for information, which I was going to say you should have your doctor call Dr.K himself and get this information about the D injection. Let me know what transpires.

Karen

All the best to all of you.

Karen     

Amy W.
on 4/26/14 12:19 pm - Buckeye, AZ
Fantastic reply! Thanks so much! How much does he charge for the Vit-D injection? I'm thinking about using our wedding anniversary "vacation" to go see Dr. K! I'd love to speak with him since I haven't seen him since 2005! I have so many questions!! Oh yeah, and I had my labs done Feb 27, 2014 And my Vit-D was 26. Definitely need it higher!

Most Active
Recent Topics
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 6 replies · 355 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 133 views
How can I gain weight?
DEJanieT · 7 replies · 1049 views