Low-fat....

Amy W.
on 4/27/14 12:01 am - Buckeye, AZ
3 rounds of antibiotics left my gut flora in bad shape. My gastroenterologist said I should be following a "low-fat" diet right now. I had an Endoscopy Friday and he said everything looks fine but he took biopsies (we're waiting on the results). Why would he say follow a low-fat diet? What will that do? He obviously doesn't understand I totally process fat differently than the average person. I'm so confused. I'm desperately trying everything I can to restore my healthy gut flora right now (I'm dealing with constantly gas/bloating/constipation/rapid weight gain).
I'm at a loss... this has been going on since March 5 and I'm just sooooo done dealing with all of this! >:[
Anyone have any advice?! Tips?! I'm taking a good probiotic and I'm going to go get a prebiotic today too.

5" 7' -  HW: 328 Current: I stay around 155 :) 
"...Because when you stop and look around, this life is pretty amazing."

Huneypie
on 4/27/14 2:31 am - London, United Kingdom
DS on 07/24/12

Primal Defense Ultra is a widely used probiotic among DSers.

I don't like the idea of prebiotics as they encourage the cultures in your inside to increase - both good and bad and if you're suffering from too many of the bad cultures it's only going to worsen the situation IMO.

Lowish BMI? See Lightweights Board! Lightweight Creed For more on DS see www.DSfacts.com
If you don't have peace, it isn't because someone took it from you; you gave it away. You cannot always control what happens to you, but you can control what happens in you John C Maxwell 
View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.comSleeve 2010 Dr López Corvala, Mexico. DS 2012 Dr Himpens, Belgium

I  my DS  

Amy W.
on 4/27/14 5:04 am - Buckeye, AZ
I've been using Primal Defense Ultra for months, it doesn't do anything because it isn't a refrigerated product. I recently started taking the RAW Woman's 100billion probiotic so we'll see if this helps. I'm also eating kefir yogurt so help restore the good bacteria.
I'm nervous about eating less fat but I guess I should try it (since my whole body is messed up right now anyway).

5" 7' -  HW: 328 Current: I stay around 155 :) 
"...Because when you stop and look around, this life is pretty amazing."

Huneypie
on 4/27/14 2:36 am - London, United Kingdom
DS on 07/24/12

I suspect you're being told to eat low fat coz your grastro doesn't understand about the DS.  I end up with dry skin and constipation if I do low fat, so if you do decide to try it and you end up with the same results, you know how to fix them.

Lowish BMI? See Lightweights Board! Lightweight Creed For more on DS see www.DSfacts.com
If you don't have peace, it isn't because someone took it from you; you gave it away. You cannot always control what happens to you, but you can control what happens in you John C Maxwell 
View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.comSleeve 2010 Dr López Corvala, Mexico. DS 2012 Dr Himpens, Belgium

I  my DS  

calendargirl
on 4/27/14 10:06 am - Land of Oz, KS
DS on 04/20/12

I haven't heard about staying low fat after antibiotics.  But, here's a helpful article about probiotics from Dr. K's site:

http://www.dssurgery.com/newsletters/probiotic.php

I hope you feel better soon!

C-Girl

Starting Stats: Ht: 5' 0" HW: 242 ~ SW: 229.9 ~ CW: 117 ~ Goal: 124.9 ("normal" BMI)
% EWL @ 03 months: 36%             % EWL
 @ 09 months: 80%
% EWL @ 06 months: 63%             % EWL @ 12 months + 2 weeks: 100%

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 164 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 697 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 238 views