What should I expect with DS revision surgery

Pegray
on 5/12/14 8:58 am - Rogersville, MO

I am considering DS revision surgery my 3rd surgery. My first surgery was in 2002 I had a lap and for 10 years. When I started having problems I chose to be revised to a sleeve and in August this year it will be 2 years my weight loss was not good at all I was really disappointed I thought I would get to goal this time but now I am up from my lowest loss 187 to 203. I am looking into DS but am I just wasting my time since I have read with each surgery the weight loss gets slower. Can anyone give me advice ? I don't want to have such a drastic surgery and not lose my excess weight..

larra
on 5/12/14 9:18 am - bay area, CA

The Ds is very different from lap band or sleeve, both of which work purely or almost purely via restriction. The Ds adds both malabsorption and metabolic changes that help with both weight loss and, or at least equal importance, maintenance of that weight loss. The failure for lap band is huge, and we are starting to see more people dissatisfied with sleeve as well, as they get further out and their sleeves stretch, no matter how narrow they were originally made.

The biggest issue for you will be finding someone who does the DS. The best list available is at dsfacts.com. I have no regrets about having the DS and I think you will find your results very different with it as well.

Larra

Pegray
on 5/12/14 9:25 am - Rogersville, MO

I am considering doctor Aceves in Mexico doing the DS. I have talked to several that were very happy with the doctor and having the DS done by him.

larra
on 5/12/14 10:22 am - bay area, CA

Dr. Aceves has an excellent reputation, as does Dr. Ungson. they are the only DS surgeons in Mexico that most of us would recommend. the hospitals where they work also get excellent reviews. You can contact them directly to see what they would charge for your revision - no need to pay extra to a "medical tourism" company, which would probably send you to a surgeon they contract with rather than to the best.

Larra

Pegray
on 5/12/14 10:47 am - Rogersville, MO

I actually did and sent him my upper GI of my sleeve so he could see if I needed to be resleeved. And he thought the  DS would be what I needed to do and quoted me 9,000.00.. I will probably go ahead when my husband gets on board since he is afraid I will have the surgery and still not lose to my goal weight. Since having the revision from band to sleeve didn't go as well as we expected. Still researching though. 

Teetster
on 5/13/14 2:52 am - Virginia Beach, VA

Hello Pegray,

I am also a revision patient, from sleeve to DS. I did loose weight with the sleeve, however not nearly enough. I revised to DS four years after sleeve. When I was making my decision on whether to have the revision or not, I had to weight out the pros and cons in my own mind. I was not guaranteed any success as a revision, and there were few people that had walked the road befoe me at the time (revising from sleeve to DS). Even my surgeon couldn't give me any answers about what results I might expect. The deciding factor for me was that I knew I was so unhappy with where I was weight and health wise, that I had to try something. I knew I would never let the thought of revision out of my mind, so after two years of deliberation I went for it.

I have lost from 270 to 140 since revising to DS. It is possible to have a very good outcome. I have heard of others not doing so well, and honestly there are so many variables that could cause one person to do well and another not to.

It is all about making a personal decision that you can live with.

I wish you the best of luck in your decision making process!!

Pegray
on 5/13/14 5:06 am - Rogersville, MO

Thanks teetster,

it is good to hear you had such good results on your revision surgery. I really want to do the surgery and really want to get the extra weight off, so I am really leaning towards going for it since I already have the first part of this surgery done and Dr. Aceves thinks my sleeve does not need to be revised just add the switch part of the surgery to finally get me to goal..

thank you  I am hopeful.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 264 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 740 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 248 views