Few questions- Vitamins, Gas, and more!

kwilk84
on 5/29/14 12:04 pm

Hey All-

So I met with my surgeon today and officially declared "DS" as my surgery. Surgery is scheduled for July 30th. 

While talking to my surgeon he stated a few things about the DS I wasn't to ask you all. How bad is your gas? Do you have gas often? He also stated that I would get bad diarrhea and patients often have to go 10 times a day. What has been your experience with this? Also, how much do you spend on your vitamins monthly and where do you get them.

If you want to just pass me a private note instead of responding that is okay. But after some of the things we discussed today I'm a bit nervous and just want to hear from you all. He was totally okay with doing whatever surgery I wanted and just wanted to make me aware of these things.

Thanks!

MajorMom
on 5/29/14 7:02 pm - VA

Who is your surgeon? Some of us that have been around awhile may have some insight based on postings over the years by his patients.

Gas can be bad if I don't stay low carb and don't attack first with a good probiotic or even an antibiotic if there's an overgrowth. I found a probiotic that is working well for me that eliminates gas during the work day and pretty much only occurs during the night. It's VSL#3-DS by prescription and I take 2 - 1/2 teaspoons a day. 

Diarrhea the first month post-op while healing but soon settled into 2 time in the morning before work. Not diarrhea but what you might call DS pudding poo.  Very smelly so flush several times, run the fan and get a good air freshener such as the Bath and Body works concentrates.

I probably spend close to $100 - $150 a month on vitamins but that would counting a percentage where the bottle lasts several months. Vitalady has a pre-packaged plan but she carries bottles which is more economical than pre-packaged. As a new post-op you'll want to ease into the plan slowly. Start with multi-vitamins, calcium citrate, and vitamin D3. (Depending on your labs) Once you get good at taking those start adding more. And, get them in capsule form. You can dump the contents into a protein shake, yogurt, pudding, soup, etc. I wouldn't try that with the multi capsule but the rest should be fine with little or no taste. After some time you'll be ready to add iron but add it slowly over several days until you're on the entire dose. Vitamins can be expensive but the good thing is our grocery bill is less because I eat less than a toddler.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

calendargirl
on 5/29/14 10:45 pm - Land of Oz, KS
DS on 04/20/12

I have never had diarrhea and I go once a day.  I take two types of probiotics daily... Garden of Life Ultra and Schiff Gas Defense.  I do not have gas much at all except when I eat a highly processed food (i.e. Cheezits) or pure sugar food (i.e. gummy bears).  I also started on the Vitalady DS vitamin plan from the beginning and spend about $100 a month on vitamins.  www.vitalady.com   I like Dymatize Elite Whey protein powder to supplement my protein intake.

The DS has been fantastic... no issues... I have a 150 cc common channel and made it to goal in 54 weeks.

Best wishes to you!

C-Girl

Starting Stats: Ht: 5' 0" HW: 242 ~ SW: 229.9 ~ CW: 117 ~ Goal: 124.9 ("normal" BMI)
% EWL @ 03 months: 36%             % EWL
 @ 09 months: 80%
% EWL @ 06 months: 63%             % EWL @ 12 months + 2 weeks: 100%

Trish06
on 5/29/14 10:56 pm
DS on 12/06/12

Hi,

I never have diarrhea either I go once or twice a morning the same time and thats it. The only time I ever get a lot of gas is if I eat bread I like a toast once in a while and know better, other then that and the vitamins I wouldnt know I had surgery. I spend about the same thing Gina does for vitamins and get them the same place. I also drink a lot of protein drink and spend 60 to 90 a month on that. I really prefer to drink my drinks then eat tons. Good luck with your research and let us know who your doctor is.

Trish

DS 12/06/12 Dr Kemmeter

Plastics with Dr. Sauceda 8/14/2014

Lbl, bl/ba, al, tl, fl

HW/255  SW/239  CW/129

Valerie G.
on 5/30/14 12:18 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

I'm 8.5 years out and have one giant poo first thing in the morning and I'm done for the day. 

The consistency is much softer than before, but I'm in total control unlike diarrhea.  Gas is completely determined by what I eat, and if I'm not eating strategically, it can peel paint off walls.  There is a period of trial and error discovering how certain foods affect you, however once you figure it out, it's pretty easy. 

I'm a cheap-ass when it comes to vitamins.  I'd rather piece my regimen together from different areas, stocking up when I score a good BOGO deal, and I get the dry vitamins from Vitalady.com or Amazon.com because they can't be found at the local retailers.  I'd say I spend around $40-45/month this way averaging it out. 

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 121 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 663 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 234 views