vitamin ? for ds

MKing214
on 6/27/14 4:00 am - omaha, NE

as you heal do u end up with so muxh to take? i have my ds on july 9th and what they sd i need for vitamins are optisourse which i guess has most everything i need plus d3(5000iu), and 500 calcium cuz the optisourse only has 1500. will i end up taking more as i heal? seems like from what i see on here a lot of u take a lot more. thanks for any imput

PeteA
on 6/27/14 9:01 am - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

The calcium amount seems OK. 1500-2000 mg is a good starting point.

I think you will find most everything else too low. I lost a little ground trying 5000 units of D early on.

How many of those optisource would you taking a day? I saw an optisoource post bariatric one where you would have to take 6 to get 1500mg calcium. 

A combined multi like this is not how the majority of us do our vitamins. Two reasons behind that. It is usually cheaper in the long run to break everything out and it is easier to address individual areas where you have either too little or too much.

You can look at vitalady.com for her vitamin schedule. The philosophy there is better to take too much and cut back than to 
have to make up for a deficit if you aren't getting enough.

Just keep a careful eye on your labs so you can react to any issues.

Time is close. Have a safe surgery.

Pete

Huneypie
on 6/27/14 6:19 pm - London, United Kingdom
DS on 07/24/12

Ditto everything Pete said.  You want to start with the Vitalady prepackaged which is available here https://vitalady.com/vitanews/pre-packaged-regimens/ She offers a mostly chewable pack for when you're very early out.

Lowish BMI? See Lightweights Board! Lightweight Creed For more on DS see www.DSfacts.com
If you don't have peace, it isn't because someone took it from you; you gave it away. You cannot always control what happens to you, but you can control what happens in you John C Maxwell 
View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.comSleeve 2010 Dr López Corvala, Mexico. DS 2012 Dr Himpens, Belgium

I  my DS  

MKing214
on 6/27/14 9:49 pm - omaha, NE

thank you both i appeeciate you taking the tine to respond. ill look into vitalady. and Pete on that optisourse it wld be 4 a day. if u dont mindcuz doc hasnt sd yet but tues is pre op. how soon after surgery do u do labs n how often? thanks again. hope u can read this ok on a cell so hard to control how this is written cuz phone sucks

Huneypie
on 6/29/14 2:24 am - London, United Kingdom
DS on 07/24/12

It's normal to get labs done at 3 months out.

Lowish BMI? See Lightweights Board! Lightweight Creed For more on DS see www.DSfacts.com
If you don't have peace, it isn't because someone took it from you; you gave it away. You cannot always control what happens to you, but you can control what happens in you John C Maxwell 
View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.comSleeve 2010 Dr López Corvala, Mexico. DS 2012 Dr Himpens, Belgium

I  my DS  

PeteA
on 6/29/14 4:28 am - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

Maybe you would be taking a different Optisource than the one than I saw.

My Surgeons program did full labs at 3 months and 6 months.
At 9 months - just the ones I was showing an issue with. Full labs at 1 year. I expect full labs at 18 months and 2 years.
Yearly after that.

I have talked with my PCP and he is willing to do labs in between if there are some thing I feel needs to be watched closer than yearly
or even in between the 6 month labs. Slightly anemic so he is watching iron related labs.

I would talk to your Doc if his patients stay on the multi's long term or they eventually move away from them. I've seen some people
that have done well with the multis but not too many. Whatever you do, for all vitamins, - labs are your guide.

amity1382
on 7/15/14 5:26 pm

Walmart has much cheaper vitamins. You don't need to be shelling out an arm and a leg every 90 days. That profit margin is insane!

southernlady5464
on 6/28/14 10:34 pm
On June 27, 2014 at 11:00 AM Pacific Time, MKing214 wrote:

as you heal do u end up with so muxh to take? i have my ds on july 9th and what they sd i need for vitamins are optisourse which i guess has most everything i need plus d3(5000iu), and 500 calcium cuz the optisourse only has 1500. will i end up taking more as i heal? seems like from what i see on here a lot of u take a lot more. thanks for any imput

I wouldn't be anywhere close to the bottom end of normal on that little D3.

You need the BioTech (also listed under Vitalady Tender) brand of Dry D3 50,000 and take one daily. I take one every day and on S/S, I take 2.

You can do the pre-packaged (esp at first until you start getting labs) OR you can look at her list and buy each bottle separate. http://www.gblcreations.com/Resources/Gina/ProgramDRNY_ERNY_ BPDDS3-2010.pdf

And here is her labs and targets: http://www.gblcreations.com/Resources/Gina/VitaLadysLabsandT argets_11-2009.doc

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

Valerie G.
on 7/4/14 12:37 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

I would say they are being too conservative with the D3, but your labs will let you know what you need to tweek.  I would definitely expect for you to take much more as you heal and get into a routine.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 121 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 663 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 234 views