New to the DS Forum

BridgetJones
on 6/27/14 9:18 pm - Belle Vernon, PA

I am new to this forum but not new to ObesityHelp (hey there Major Mom!)

I had an RNY in June 2009 and have developed severe hypoglycemia which leads to grand mal seizures and took my license!  I did some research because I am nothing if not an avid researcher...and found that either DS or VGS are cures for the hypoglycemia.  I am leaning towards DS because of the malabsorbtion component but would love to hear your thoughts!

Anyway, hi!

Bridget

5'5"   SW - 208  GW1 - 138  GW2 - 108 Lowest W - 108  CW - 158.5

Seeking revision from RNY to DS due to extreme hypoglycemia

Original surgery June 24, 2009        

larra
on 6/28/14 2:25 am - bay area, CA

Hi Bridget and welcome!

I'm sorry you have experienced such severe problems with your RNY. Problems such as dumping and hypoglycemia are very rare with the DS so converting to the DS should make a big difference for you. The malabsorptive component also helps greatly with maintenance of weight loss. I hope you are able to get the care you need.

Larra

annarohr
on 6/28/14 3:01 am

Hi~ I am a upcoming DS er too!  I had a stand alone VSG in 2009 because I wanted to see if it would be enough on it's own to lose the weight, however, not so for me.  I clearly need more so here I am! Very scare of the malabsorption part of it.  Worried about what will I look like later on?   What is a realistic weight loss/size expectation?  all sorts of questions and worries! 

PeteA
on 6/29/14 4:03 am - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

The malabsorption part of of the DS helps immensely with the weight regain problem other WLS have. I could alsays lose weight. I just always regained more.
Most of us seem to find the
correct amount of vitamin supplements to keep us going although it takes time and a careful eye on your lab results. I found the sheer
number of vitamins daunting at the start but at 15 months I no longer find the number of pills worrisome - I am now working on making
my scheduling as optimum as possible.

As for realistic expectations of weight loss I would say to use 80% of your excess weight as your initial goal. Meaning if you need to lose
100 lbs then 80 lbs is a good milestone. Lots of people make 80% EWL (Estimated weight loss) and many get all the way to 100%. Some 
seem to stop sooner but they are still much healthier than before.

Keep asking your questions and worries. It is something we all go through.  

BridgetJones
on 6/29/14 12:18 am - Belle Vernon, PA

I do too!!!  I could choose between VSG or DS.  What do you think are the pros and cons?

Bridget

MajorMom
on 6/28/14 7:47 pm, edited 6/29/14 2:15 am - VA

Hi there!  I hope the DS will help you. I know you've been struggling terribly.  

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

BridgetJones
on 6/29/14 12:25 am - Belle Vernon, PA

I am hoping it will stop the dramatic hypoglycemia.  I started having grand mal seizures in Israel and have had a few here.  Now I just have myoclonic and simple partial seizures which are annoying and potentially brain damaging but not as life threatening as the grand mals.  I have fallen a LOT and had a blackout seizure and broke a tooth while walking to work in Israel.  I think if it weren't for all the medical issues, we'd still be there.  Now I just hope to get my life back, get my weight loss back and get on with my life as the gay divorcee :)

Huneypie
on 6/29/14 2:20 am - London, United Kingdom
DS on 07/24/12

I'm sorry you're having such a bad time.

With VSG you're going to have to rely on diet alone to control your weight.  The DS has the advantage of calorie malabsorption but it comes at the price of having to stay on top of your vitamins, you can find a basic list of the required vits on Vitalady here https://vitalady.com/vitanews/pre-packaged-regimens/

This DSfacts page compare RNY to the DS, unfortunately there isn't a comparison with the VSG http://www.dsfacts.com/Duodenal-Switch-Compared-to-Gastric-B ypass.html#.U7A7FPldXZw

RNY to DS is a very complex surgery and only the surgeons listed should be consulted:

Dr. Keshishian, located in California

Dr. Rabkin, located in California

Dr. Simper, located in Utah

Dr. Elariny, located in Virginia

Dr. Roslin, located in New York

Dr. Buchwald, located in Minnesota

Surgeons above are in the US, and if you are willing to travel outside the US, there are the surgeons below:

Dr. Baltasar, located in Spain

Dr. Marchesini, located  in Brazil

The surgeons' contact details are here http://www.dsfacts.com/duodenal-switch-surgeons.html

Lowish BMI? See Lightweights Board! Lightweight Creed For more on DS see www.DSfacts.com
If you don't have peace, it isn't because someone took it from you; you gave it away. You cannot always control what happens to you, but you can control what happens in you John C Maxwell 
View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.comSleeve 2010 Dr López Corvala, Mexico. DS 2012 Dr Himpens, Belgium

I  my DS  

PeteA
on 6/29/14 3:54 am - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

Welcome Bridget,

While I've seen a few people that mentioned having hypogycemic incidents nothing like what you are describing.
I hope whichever you choose resolves your problem.

Just curious, in your research did they say what about the VSG fixes the issue?
I'm just guessing it is the VSG part of the DS that does the fixing.

Pete

Most Active
Recent Topics
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 6 replies · 362 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 135 views
How can I gain weight?
DEJanieT · 7 replies · 1051 views