After Metronidazole...

Amy W.
on 7/18/14 9:17 am - Buckeye, AZ
I had the infection clostridium Difficile (c. diff) and was put on Metronidazole for 2 weeks. The infection went away, but now my stomach is still sooooo sensitive ! I feel like no matter what I eat it's mad at me and gurgling. It's just... "Off". Has anyone went through this? I take a good probiotic already. I'm guessing this is normal since my gut/body went through 3 months of the trauma of this infection and then the harshness of this powerful antibiotic. I guess I'm just looking for some support from someone who's been through something similar?! :/

5" 7' -  HW: 328 Current: I stay around 155 :) 
"...Because when you stop and look around, this life is pretty amazing."

Huneypie
on 7/18/14 5:52 pm, edited 7/19/14 12:09 am - London, United Kingdom
DS on 07/24/12

I had a 7 day course of 400mg Metronidazole recently and got AWFUL thrush that lasted 2 months (by awful I mean inflamation and weeping due to scratching).  What strength Metronidozole did you have?  I know it goes up to 800mg and I'm just curious to hear what level caused you these problems, as it really helped my digestive/intestinal issues which is why I took it.

I was on probiotics before and during the course of Metronidozol, but I got thrush anyway.  I was taking a probiotic that had 4 billion CFUs (Colony Forming Units) and have since changed to one that has 30 billion CFUs, plus I have a live yogurt every day that has 4 billion CFUs.

I had to have 4 courses of antibiotics to fix the thrush that the flagyl gave me (2 of Trimethoprim and 2 of Fluconazole I also had a dozen pessaries as well as several different creams).

What probiotic do you use?  It may be worth taking it a couple of times a day.  I think you'll also have to see your doc re the issues you're having as they may know of some sort of antibiotic that will help you.  I've never had thrush before and never would have imagined that there were antibiotics for it as I only knew of pessaries.

I saw doctors about half a dozen times and it was only the final doc that gave me the fluconazole that worked (the other stuff very nearly worked, but then the thrush kept coming back).  With the PCPs I see, you see someone different nearly every time, so I did get a wide range of pessaries, creams and pills, but please be persistent and don't suffer.  As I say I did about 6 visits to the doc in the space of a couple of months and I did eventually get resolution.

Please keep us posted as to how you get on.

Lowish BMI? See Lightweights Board! Lightweight Creed For more on DS see www.DSfacts.com
If you don't have peace, it isn't because someone took it from you; you gave it away. You cannot always control what happens to you, but you can control what happens in you John C Maxwell 
View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.comSleeve 2010 Dr López Corvala, Mexico. DS 2012 Dr Himpens, Belgium

I  my DS  

Amy W.
on 7/22/14 3:03 pm - Buckeye, AZ
My probiotic is a good one. It has 50bil cfu's , and I just received my new one in the mail. It's a strain you're supposed to take specifically after you've had c. diff.

Amy W.
on 7/22/14 3:01 pm - Buckeye, AZ
Oh my! I hate antibiotics! >:[
I had to take 500mg of Flagyl 3x a day for 2 weeks. I got c. diff in the first place because I took 3 rounds of antibiotics due to what the "urgent care" thought was a sinus infection.
I don't know if it's something I'm eating or what, but I feel like I can't eat anything without bloating up like a balloon! Normally this only happens if I eat gluten or dairy but I haven't been eating anything of the sort! I'm so confused.

Huneypie
on 7/23/14 2:29 am - London, United Kingdom
DS on 07/24/12

Sounds nasty.  I hope your doc helps you ASAP.

Lowish BMI? See Lightweights Board! Lightweight Creed For more on DS see www.DSfacts.com
If you don't have peace, it isn't because someone took it from you; you gave it away. You cannot always control what happens to you, but you can control what happens in you John C Maxwell 
View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.comSleeve 2010 Dr López Corvala, Mexico. DS 2012 Dr Himpens, Belgium

I  my DS  

robertabreton
on 8/17/14 10:00 am - WA

On second course of flagyl 500 mg 3x day. Got c diff 2 x from 3 hospitalizations (inc 2 small intestine surgeries.) First time cleared with flagyl + probiotic 2 hrs later. This time c diff is gone, but still have runs and a week to go on meds. I'm going to follow same course, but taking out dairy for now. I've noticed more distress after dairy though never had it before. Cutting it out for a while to see if it works. I wonder if the sm intestine "brushes" that produce the lactase enzyme were damaged by c diff or surgery?

Huneypie
on 8/18/14 2:54 am - London, United Kingdom
DS on 07/24/12

Sorry you're suffering - I hope the elimination helps.

I  my DS  

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 282 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 755 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 251 views