DS help !

Kaycee_21
on 9/22/14 4:31 am - Visalia , CA

Hi everyone. My name is Casey and I'm 27 years old with a BMI of 62.8. I live in Visalia, Ca near Fresno and Bakersfield. I've finally come to the realization that I need help. I recently was approved for

Medi-Cal insurance so now I'm really looking into everything about DS. Ive gotten some great feedback on other forums about DS now i just Have some questions.

Does it matter if I choose health net or blue cross?

Did Medi-Cal cover your DS?

Who was your surgeon and there location? Would you recommend them? 

Any extra pointers for starting this process?

I'm terrified that I'm going to get denied and I'm just gonna die. I have so much life to live and I'm ready to finally get help that I've needed for awhile. Thank you all for the encouragement and support !

A_Whole_New_Me
on 9/22/14 6:31 am

Hi Casey,

I don't know anything specific about Medi-cal but I can recommend an amazing DS surgeon who takes Medicare. Dr Ara Keshishian works primarily out of Glendale but I think he may still do some surgeries in Delano. Here is his website:

http://www.dssurgery.com/

He is considered one of the top DS surgeons in the world and he is a very nice man. I had a revision from a sleeve to DS in January and can't recommend him highly enough. 

One additional thing to know is he does charge a "program fee" which covers follow up appointments and consultations. His office staff will be able to give you more information on that.

Also, if you haven't already, be sure to check out http://www.dsfacts.com/frequently-asked-questions.php. It is a great resource.

Good luck to you.

Tricia

Kaycee_21
on 9/22/14 7:42 am - Visalia , CA

Thank you a ton for your feedback. I called Dr. K's office this morning and he no longer does surgeries in Delano. Uggghhh heart breaking !

A_Whole_New_Me
on 9/22/14 8:43 am

If there is any way you can make it work to go to Glendale, you should do so.

I didn't know anyone there and stayed by myself in a motel in the area (at a reduced rate). I met someone on this forum who generously offered to pick me up from the hospital and get me settled in at the motel. Dr K does require that you have someone with you after your surgery but I was so determined to have the surgery that I wasn't going to let that stop me!

You may need to travel to get your surgery. I suspect Dr K is probably still the closest to you geographically. Can his staff recommend anyone else in the area?

Good luck in finding the best situation for you.

Tricia

Dolphingirl1385
on 9/23/14 8:35 am

I would definitely take the drive to Glendale to Dr. K......he is the best.  I just had my DS done in June and couldn't imagine doing it with anyone else.

Dolphingirl1385
on 9/23/14 8:35 am

I would definitely take the drive to Glendale to Dr. K......he is the best.  I just had my DS done in June and couldn't imagine doing it with anyone else.

Brandy G.
on 9/22/14 9:03 am
DS on 08/20/14

It seems like many people end up travelling for their DS.  We are not a robust people before surgery and the DS is a doozy of a procedure.  A few hours in car or plane is a small price to pay. 

I have no personal experience, but many people consider Rabkin in San Fran http://www.paclap.com/pacific-laparoscopy/dr-rabkin.cfm one of the best DS surgeons in the world. 

If you are denied insurance, consider self pay.  ROUGH estimate is $30K in US and $13K is Mexico.  Hopefully, you won't have to go down that road, but it isn't the end of the world. 

Good luck!  Let us know what you do!

August 2014 - DS @ Mexicali Bariatric Center / Ungson.
It took me one and a half years to lose 165 pounds.
Weight: High=314, Goal=155, Current=131

Kaycee_21
on 9/22/14 10:21 am - Visalia , CA

I live an 45 mins from Fresno and about 1:15 from bake/Delano I have a few good options around here with good reputations. I also here Dr. Cyrus Moon is a good surgeon as well and he's at Delano.

Kdiva
on 9/22/14 11:15 am - Margate, FL

I would choose the surgeon of my choice then see which plan they take. I've heard nothing but great things about Dr K.....so even if you need to travel he'd be a great choice. The distance shouldn't be a factor. As stated above many of us travel for the DS. Good luck! 

DS: 5/28/14

HW: 310

SW: 302

CW: 160 ( 1 year post-op) 160 lbs gone

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 256 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 737 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 244 views