Anemia.. Any suggestions for getting ferritin up?

sunshine1968
on 10/10/14 12:23 am

Hi all. Pre-surgery I had difficulty keeping my hemoglobin up but now my ferretin numbers have dropped from 70 pre-surgery to 26 ten months out. My hemoglobin is about 3 pts below the normal range also. I was taking two 150 mg polysaccharide and 2 heme irons and my numbers dropped. Any advice on how to get my numbers up and when I should request infusion if I can't get the up? Any input would be greatly appreciated. 

buffalobillsfan
on 10/10/14 5:17 am - CA

I would ask for an infusion as soon as possible.  I had to wait a year while mine kept trending down until I was finally able to get an infusion.  I took the same doses as you take.  Sooooo much easier than spacing out all those iron supplements from my others.  Now I just take more doses of calcium instead.   My numbers have stayed pretty good and it's been about a year.  I had 2 infusions in 2 weeks and that was it.  I think I'm becoming due for another. 

I was told that once I stop menstruating that I won't likely need them anymore. 

MajorMom
on 10/10/14 7:26 am - VA

I tried polysaccharide and it just didn't work well for me. I switched to 300mg of carbonyl (Vitalady's Tender iron) and 2 Proferrin a day and brought my iron markers up. You might want to change forms of iron for 9 to 12 months and see if it works for you too.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

trumanorme
on 10/12/14 4:03 am - KS

I tried iron sups for 2 years and still couldn't get my ferritin levels up (hanging around 30ish). I am now getting iron infusions every 2 weeks. Doctor wanted to get my level to 80, then see if it will stay. He says it it much easier to stay at that level, than it is to get there. We shall see.

sunshine1968
on 10/15/14 12:32 am

At what level does your doc think it's necessary to get an iron infusion?

trumanorme
on 10/15/14 1:21 am, edited 10/15/14 1:21 am - KS

Mine was dropping, from a high of 35 down to 24 in a 6 month period. This was while I was taking iron sups. I now have iron infusions of 200mg of Venofer every 2 weeks until ferritin hits 80. Then we shall see if the body can/will keep it there. Still an ongoing process for me.

I forgot to mention (if it matters)....I'm having all of this done by the doctors/experts at the Mayo clinic in Minnesota.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 113 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 658 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 234 views