Recovery differences between VSG and DS?

Star0210
on 10/27/14 9:03 am
DS on 11/28/14

How will the recovery for DS be different than from the VSG?
Both lap surgeries. I've also had lap hysterectomy. 
I'm just trying to get an idea of what to expect...will it be similar to other abdominal lap surgeries I've had?

kddub
on 10/27/14 10:24 am
DS on 10/10/14

my partner had VSG on 10/9 and I had DS on 10/10.   Our recoveries have been very similar.   She (VSG) recovered a few days ahead of me.  The big difference for me is that my energy didn't come back as quickly.  All in all not too much of a difference!  good luck 

HW 310  CW 222   SW 295  GW 175

DS 10/10/14 by Dr. Ranjan Sudan - Duke Medicine

Star0210
on 10/27/14 12:19 pm
DS on 11/28/14

Thanks! That's what I was hoping to hear! 

Just out of curiosity, what were your reasons for having different surgeries? 

kddub
on 10/28/14 12:32 am
DS on 10/10/14

Excellent question!  The answer aligns with our personalities.  She is VERY conservative and risk averse.  I went for the DS because I wanted the surgery with the best odds for success.  I just don't think that I would be successful with restriction only.  I hope that she does not regret her choice!

HW 310  CW 222   SW 295  GW 175

DS 10/10/14 by Dr. Ranjan Sudan - Duke Medicine

Star0210
on 10/28/14 11:47 pm
DS on 11/28/14

Unfortunately the restriction alone wasn't enough for me. It was great at first...I lost about 110 lbs. over the last couple of years I've regained 40. :(

i got sick (not WLS related) and I got lazy. I stopped doing the right things. I stopped getting in enough protein, I stopped worrying about my fluid intake and I started eating too many carbs. And I couldn't and didn't exercise. 

So here I am...blah. Lol

Sandra C.
on 10/31/14 5:11 am - Kalamazoo, MI

Pre D.S. I asked one my surgeons patients a similar question comparing the VSG to the D.S. Her husband had the VSG, she had the D.S. For weight loss he has to watch everything he eats/drinks. She has more freedom eating lots more protein and veggies. Both have had some regain. They are many years out.

Post lap D.S. my feeling of surgical pain was only on the surface mostly at the opening where the stomach part was removed. I was cautious moving around for the first 6 weeks, when the internal healing should be complete they say. I was advised to walk to prevent blood clots, even just around the house.

Mt first of 7 surgeries in the past 3 yrs was a complete hysterectomy, done with the Davinci robotic surgical machine. This was my first ever major surgery other than 2 "C" sections. The "C" sections were way more painful recoveries than any of my 3 lap surgeries. Everyones experiences are different,  perception of pain levels, complications, pain meds and their abilities to work on an individual basis. My surgeons wanted me to switch from the heavy meds as soon as possible so I could walk more and drive. I was using Tylenol exclusively 1-2 weeks post lap surgery. I had all complication free surgeries. 

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

Duodenal Switch- lap
Dr. Paul. Kemmeter Grand Rapids, Mi.
Dr. John  Renucci, Plastics, Body contouring,Grand Rapids, Mi.
Start 255/ Surgery wt 235/ Current wt. 117

BMI-20, 135 lbs lost, 5'3"

Most Active
Recent Topics
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 6 replies · 359 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 134 views
How can I gain weight?
DEJanieT · 7 replies · 1050 views