Anyone have trouble eating eggs? Anyone take protease for it?

melissa K.
on 11/12/14 5:53 am - Ventura, CA
I have a bit of an egg intolerance. It bothers me about 12 hours later and it's incredibly painful with gas/bloating, a LOT and very bad cramps that last hours. 1 measly half an egg WHITE or egg product. If i eat product with no egg at all i have zero gas in my life. But, if i eat an unknown it's pretty bad and painful.
I was thinking of experimenting with /the enzyme supplement protease. anyone have any experience?

Surgery June 3rd, 2008
My Specs:
  Height 5' 5.75" | Highest weight 265+?lbs | Surgery weight 241.9 | Now 154 lbs | CC length 150cm, stomach 3oz 
Added: Neck/Chin/Lower face lift Nov 23,2010- Skin only
Up2Me3
on 11/12/14 6:15 am

I am only 3 weeks out and tried an egg yesterday. I thought at first sucess becasue I kept it down. Then last night the WORST pain ever and thought I would throw up.....so that's strange that you say you have issues with pain hours AFTER eating the egg.

I tried to many new things yesterday to say for sure it was the egg. (avacado, banana) Mistake! Instructions said to try only 1 new thing at a time......I never have been really good at doing as I'm told!

Valerie G.
on 11/13/14 12:42 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

If you're absolutely certain it was the egg and no other seasonings or anything else that may have accompanied it, then no more eggs for a week or three and try again.  Any enzyme supplements will increase your level of absorption, which will couteract the design purpose of the DS.  In other words, DSers add enzymes to GAIN WEIGHT

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

JazzyOne9254
on 11/13/14 6:31 am

With all due respect to "The OG" of DS (Valerie) with regard to protease (Creon, Viokase, other brands), whether you gain weight with it or not, depends on your particular DS, and what your issue is.

I had an Rx for Viokase at 6 months out, then switched to Creon when Viokase became unavailable in the US (according to my pharmacist).  These are pancreatic enzymes that in the DS don't hit the food for the necessary disgestive action until the food (chyme) reaches the common channel.

Whether or not you gain weight depends on how long your common channel is, since that is where absorption takes place, and your individual physical makeup. 

I didn't gain an ounce with Viokase, then Creon.  I lost weight very rapidly - the enzymes allowed more nutrients to enter my system.  My CC is 75cm, and I am a hypermalabsorber.  I'd rather take the enzymes than go in for a revision.  Think of taking protease, whatever brand you take, as a pharmaceutical partial reversal.

HW 405/SW 397/CW 138/GW 160  Do the research!  Check the stats!
The DS is *THE* solution to Severe Morbid Obesity!

PeteA
on 11/13/14 12:58 pm - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

You are pretty far out so maybe something like that will help. I couldn't stand eggs for the first month
but luckily for me I got over it. Good luck.

Pete

melissa K.
on 11/14/14 1:29 pm - Ventura, CA
oh i love eggs. but i have very much narrowed down any problems i have with gas or pain/cramps to eggs and products with eggs. i'm planning an overseas vacation in a few months and i'm just thinking if i could figure out something to take that would ease my issues it would be great.

Does pancreatic enzyme help break down the egg protein? is that what the protease is really? i've been having a lot of trouble finding info on it that's helpful other than just "don't eat eggs" which is like, duh, thanks, LOL

Surgery June 3rd, 2008
My Specs:
  Height 5' 5.75" | Highest weight 265+?lbs | Surgery weight 241.9 | Now 154 lbs | CC length 150cm, stomach 3oz 
melissa K.
on 11/16/14 6:05 am - Ventura, CA
Hi there, still looking for even more feedback! Anyone else with experience on help digesting eggs fully so there is no gas or digestive upset? Thank you guys!

Surgery June 3rd, 2008
My Specs:
Most Active
Recent Topics
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 6 replies · 362 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 135 views
How can I gain weight?
DEJanieT · 7 replies · 1051 views