Bad fats and the BPD/DS

Brandy G.
on 12/30/14 9:30 am
DS on 08/20/14

Mexicali Bariatric is telling me things like "butter is a no-no."   I know that most dr/nuts are not reliable for post ds advice, but they are infinitely reasonable people and I hate leaving things open. 

Good cholesterol or HDL has a target range  of 40...59, my value was 31 which is low.  The Cho/HDL Ratio should be under 4.5, mine was 4.8, which is high.  I wasn't going to worry about this until after my honeymoon period is over, but I hate blowing off direct health advice from a Dr.  On the other hand, this sounds like advice from the other surgeries and that most DS veterans would happily ignore it as they took another sip of their buttered coffee. 

I've pointed out that since my fat malabsorbtion is around 80%, we are really not talking about a lot that actually makes it to my blood.  The BPD/DS veterans all say at least 100 g of fat a day for regularity.  That is five avocados or just under a pound of almonds.  If I stay with the “good fats” there will be no room for protein.  

What I wanted was a simple URL that says this that I can send to them.  The closest I found is: http://www.dsfacts.com/ds-math.php.   Anybody have a better resource? 

August 2014 - DS @ Mexicali Bariatric Center / Ungson.
It took me one and a half years to lose 165 pounds.
Weight: High=314, Goal=155, Current=131

MajorMom
on 12/30/14 6:27 pm - VA

You won't change their minds because they think they're right. Go with the butter and healthy oils but don't try to measure them, just don't avoid fats and oils in your diet or you'll drive yourself crazy with all the measuring. Get your protein and vitamins in daily, then see how your system reacts with oils and fats. If you're drinking protein shakes, try using heavy whipping cream and water to mix your shakes, there should be plenty of fat in those.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Valerie G.
on 12/30/14 11:24 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

The fat in butter isn't nearly as bad for you as the chemicals in the fake butters.  I always ate full-fat everything (I don't add fat on purpose, just make no effort to avoid it) and it truly keeps me healthy.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

PeteA
on 12/31/14 3:26 am - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

If it is a choice between fat and protein - then protein wins. Personally I would never shoot for 100gms of fat 
per day. I would be having too many BM's. I'm not a vet at 20 months but fat hasn't been an issue for me.

I'm in the camp where I just don't avoid fats and never shop for low fat foods.

You won't find a URL supporting 100 gms a day or any other number because fat intake can vary so much
for each person. I'm all for doing things that might help raise your good cholesterol but it's been my experience
the DS takes care of the bad cholesterol without any help.

Pete

HW 552 CW 198 SW 464 4/15/13 - Lap DS by Dr. Philip Schauer - Cleveland Clinic.

beemerbeeper
on 12/31/14 9:20 am - AL

PS we call our surgery the DS. The duodenal switch.  The BPD was an older surgery that isn't done much now if any. 

-becky

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 274 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 748 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 250 views