Want revision from VSG to DS... need some questions answered

Jenniflower75
on 1/1/15 2:36 pm

Ok so May 13 will be two years since I had my VSG. i stopped loosing weight at 5 months post op and after about three or four more months of severe depression because of the stand still I gave up and ate whatever I wanted. Surprisingly I did not gain any weight. i started working in August and began loosing a little bit of weight... Only about 5 lbs BUT when I got hurt back in the end of September I started gaining and have gained 22 lbs and have leveled off. I'm currently at 192.2 Where my surgeon had me gain weight to qualify for surgery and prior to that my weight was 188. This is very discouraging to me. My highest weight was 232 the day before surgery. My BMI is 36.7 I believe. it's more than 36 and I wanted to know if this long out after having a VSG if they would continue the surgery to the DS which coincidentally was the surgery I originally wanted. Has anyone gone through this? Since surgery and my failure not only do i still have my sleep apnea but now I can add extreme high blood pressure (two pills a day and still not in normal range plus a water pill ) and i'm prediabetic. I obviously need the second surgery and I just want to know if they will do it. My family is STRONGLY against me having the second surgery but with how my blood pressure is and the way I feel when it's high i'm terrified of having a stroke!!!! I mean i get so dizzy and sick and I can hear my heart beat in my ears that also echo with each beat I can't breathe and I feel faint. It's really scary. And the diabeties is scary in of itself. I really hope to hear that there is a way to have a revision this far out. Oh and i DO still have my restriction. Thanks

Star0210
on 1/2/15 2:52 am
DS on 11/28/14

Of course there is...but you have to have a good DS surgeon.

I had the VSG back in 2010 and a revision to DS with partial re-sleeve on 11/28. My insurance doesn't cover any type of weight loss procedure, so I went to Mexico and self paid. 

Jenniflower75
on 1/2/15 9:43 am

How much was it in mexico and did you have to stay? what do they do with after care?

Dolphingirl1385
on 1/2/15 6:17 am

It is possible but make sure you get a qualified surgeon as the DS is a complicated surgery. My surgeon is fabulous and does revisions.....half os his clients are revisions from other surgeons. His name is Dr. Keshishian and he is in Los Angeles. I had the DS in June and am very satisfied. Good luck

DS on June 13, 2014 with Ara Keshishian

larra
on 1/2/15 9:35 am - bay area, CA

Yes, it absolutely can be done, and it sounds like you have some good medical reasons to do it. Of course your family is concerned, they don't want anything bad to happen to you, but the reality is that bad things are happening to you right now, and worse in the future if your comorbidities aren't controlled. It's just less obvious because there is a set date for surgery and no set date for medical disaster from high blood pressure or sleep apnea.

As others have said, make very sure you have a good, experienced DS surgeon for your revision. The best list of DS surgeons can be found at dsfacts.

Larra

Jenniflower75
on 1/2/15 10:04 am

Thanks Larra,

I think I found a good surgeon. He's on DSfacts and has done a LOT of surgeries compared to some of the others on DS facts. I'm really hoping my insurance will cover the second part of the DS surgery but it's really up in the air. I should find out next week. Hopefully early next week. My husband is even going ot have surgery finally so he is a little more supportive of me having second surgery with the condition that the doc says it's medically necessary. I have no doubt the doc will agree with all the medical issues. My husband still isn't sure which surgery he wants but he will have it the same time as me as we have to travel five hours away to get it done.

larra
on 1/2/15 10:52 am - bay area, CA

If your insurance won't cover the surgery, I hope you are open to going to Mexico as Starr did. Dr. Ungson has been doing the DS for years and has an excellent reputation, and the hospital where he operates also gets positive comments from his patients. And it's great that your husband is becomming more supportive and considering surgery for himself as well. As far as post-op goes, it would probably be easiest if you both end up with the same operation, as the dietary needs and requirements are different for each operation.

Who are you seeing?

Larra

Jenniflower75
on 1/2/15 10:59 am

Fernando Bonanni near Philly PA... I'm trying to talk him into DS because I think that would benefit him the most but I'm not sure if he's going to listen... he's stuck on the stupid lap band... I keep trying to explain how bad it is and that they are trying to pull them off the market. I hope he listens.

Star0210
on 1/2/15 11:10 am
DS on 11/28/14

The doctor is suggesting a lapband??? Ditch him and get a different doctor!

Jenniflower75
on 1/2/15 11:14 am

no no I wasn't clear... dr definitely does NOT recommend lap band... Hubby wants it because he is scared of the other surgeries.. I think he will end up having sleeve though

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 264 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 740 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 248 views