Protein powder....help!

Pianolover
on 3/7/15 2:57 am

Hi everyone, I've been lurking on these boards for a while but I need advice! My surgery is this week, so i'm on the clear liquid diet (with the exception of protein drinks). I have tried some old (but not yet expired) Body Fortress Chocolate Whey protein powder. I've tried it before with 8 oz of unsweetened almond milk and it didn't taste like the greatest thing ever, but I tolerated it well. However, before I thought the scoop that came with it was lost so I just used a heaping tablespoon of the powder. Then today, I dug down even farther and found a much bigger scoop that says 90 CC, which I also measured out to be 42 grams which is what the label says should be in a scoop. I tried this with 6 oz since my DR's office said to make the drink thick since after surgery I won't be able to drink much at a time. But then this full scoop and 6 oz made me gag.

Any advice? I felt so discouraged, because I'll need to do this 4-5 times a day starting a week after the surgery. If I can't get it down now, how am i supposed to do it after? Any other protein powders I should try? (also, my dr office advised against any ready-to-drink protein afterwards, so powder is really my only option).

Brandy G.
on 3/7/15 3:58 am
DS on 08/20/14

There are  many people who share your pain.

My first bit of advice is to only listen to the "WHAT" from your doctor and leave the "HOW" up to your body.  What you have to do is meet your protein goals, how you do it... well if you are like me, that won't even be consistent from day to day.  If you body wants thin protein drinks and more of them, that is fine.  In the long run, when your stomach stretches out again, you will be able to eat enough food to avoid the powders all together if you like.  

I would have been in trouble without the advice off these type of DS boards.  Right after surgery, I could only handle the bottled "Oh Yeah" brand protein pre-mixed drinks.  This lasted maybe a month.  It was better than nothing and my blood protein levels didn't even dip.  I then found I could deal with beef isolate protein powders, Musclemeds Carnivor brand.  Strawberry was my fav, especially if I blended in 4 real strawberries.  They don't taste like beef, they actually do not taste that much different than the whey stuff.  Yesterday I tried Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Gold Standard, Rocky Road and loved it.  I don't know if the fact that I am past six months was key or not, but it was yummy.  Thank god!

My second piece of advice is this:  Everybody is different.  Although it is easy for me to say "don't be discouraged, just keep looking for something that works for you", I know it is hard to do.  Also, your tastes will change after surgery.  I *loved* all protein powders before my surgery and then they became plastic cups of torture.  So perhaps you will be the opposite.   You can do this, everybody seems to find a way and you will find your path as well. 

Good luck!

August 2014 - DS @ Mexicali Bariatric Center / Ungson.
It took me one and a half years to lose 165 pounds.
Weight: High=314, Goal=155, Current=131

MajorMom
on 3/7/15 4:01 am - VA

It can be an acquired taste. I use Syntrax Nectar in chocolate, vanilla and strawberry mousse. I like the creamier flavors. Syntrax also makes a cappuccino flavor and several fruity and tea flavors. They're all going to be as thick unless you add more water or milk or whatever you're using. Vitamin Shoppe carries a few flavors or you can order them online at Vitalady or Amazon or from the Syntrax web site. Good luck!

--gina 

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

PeteA
on 3/7/15 11:39 am - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

I use the Optimum Nutrition with water - that worked for me from the beginning. You might try that with the Body Fortress to see if that makes it easier to go down. I know the Docs will say better to use milk for the additional protein but you need to see what works for you.

I do remember marvelling about how big the scoop really was in the different protein powders I used in the beginning.

I couldn't handle thick shakes at the beginning and never did like them although I do an occasional double scoop in 8 oz water. 

Don't be discouraged. It is going to be trial and error for some things post-op. You may find you like it better post-op. Many people find the shakes they liked pre-op aren't the ones they settle on post-op. Look around for samples of different kinds. I know the vitalady site has samples and somehwere there are samples of syntrax (all for a price).

I have a hard time thinking they expect you to do 4 or 5 shakes a day within 1 week of surgery. Common advice is t concentrate on liquids and then try and hit protein goals of 30 grams/day by the end of 30 days, 60 after 60, and 90 after 90. From your post you would be around 100 that first week. I could not have done that post-op.

Have a safe surgery. It will be OK.

Pete

Valerie G.
on 3/7/15 9:57 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

My best advice is to drive yourself to the vitamin shoppe or GNC today (or whatever else you have as a resource) and get a supply of single servings of several different flavors and brands. The key is to not try anything until you get home from the hospital.  Many of us experience that our tastes change very drastically and many have 5lb tubs that sits on the shelf never to be touched again.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

K P.
on 3/8/15 12:29 pm
DS on 07/08/14

Yup listen to Valerie regarding GNC. We quickly joined their "gold" and it has more than paid off. They have an AMAZING return policy. If you don't like it you can return it in 30 days. Its been a life saver for us. 

I tried Isopure after surgery - its really low carb, and high protein. It made me gag. When I actually threw it up I returned it. They also have isopure clear, I didn't like them either. 

I love premier protein chocolate. I started drinking one a day before surgery, and this practice has continued after surgery. I drink it for breakfast daily still at 8 months out. They are kinda big (11oz) for 30g protein. I just started sipping away when I gave up on isopure. 

I can drink the same shake daily and I do fine. Doesn't bother me. Hubs on the other hand needs variety. So here is the lowdown on the ones we have tried and use (my husband mixes all these in 4oz of water with a blender ball, I use a blender and blend with ice and about 6oz water): 

Musclepharm - Cookies and Cream - I don't like it, its too artificial tasting for me but my husband really likes. 35g serving size, 4 carbs (1 fiber 1.5 sugar) and 25g protein

Pro Grade Weight Loss Whey Protein Powder - Vanilla Graham Cracker - I like this one, so does husband. Its got a great taste. The graham cracker flavor is nice and mixes well with powdered peanut butter, chocolate, strawberry, etc. 39g serving size, 3 carbs (2 fiber 1 sugar), and 22g protein

100% Whey Protein, GNC Pro Performance - Banana Cream - I like this one, so does husband. I can't do it more than a few days in a row but its yummy with powdered peanut butter mixed in, one time I also mixed in dutch cocoa - so yummy. 33.8g serving size, 5 carbs (2 sugar), 24g protein

100% Whey Protein, GNC Pro Performance - Chocolate Supreme - I haven't tried this one because I drink chocolate premier, husband likes it, kinda chunky so needs extra shaking. 33.8g serving size, 6 carbs (1 fiber 2 sugar), 24g protein

I bake with 100% Whey Protein, GNC Pro Performance - Unflavored. 33.8g serving size, 4 carbs, 24g protein

I also tried Syntrax nectar and didn't like it, but I prefer thick shakes where this is thin. I also tried savory flavored protein - chicken and tomato soup - both YUCK!

Hope this gives you a few ideas. Best of luck finding one that works for you :)

HW 284; SW 270; CW 152; Revised GW 140-160  

(deactivated member)
on 3/9/15 2:42 pm

I had surgery 4 months ago today, and the Whey Protein Powder made me gag too. After a week or so, I couldn't take it anymore. I found another protein powder called HumaPro that is very refined, much better absorbed and only requires a quarter thumb size to get to 25 grams. I drink it mixed with cold water. Over time I've developed a reoutine where I drink this stuff first thing in the morning. HumaPro also has protein pills (you need 5) to get to 25 grams of protein. I also take this once a day to get to a total 50 grams from protein pills / powder.

Good luck, and only buy small amounts until you find something you can live with.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 297 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 769 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 255 views