Four Year Surgiversary

Elena22
on 3/9/15 12:07 am

I said in a previous blog that I would later disclose whether I regretted VSG surgery or not.  Well I now have my answer.  For me, and this is just for me personally, the VSG has been a big mistake as opposed to RNY or DS.  My original choice was the DS, but my insurance would not pay for it, so I settled for my second choice which was the VSG. My insurance said that they would pay for RNY but I wasn't interested in that option for myself.  I feared dumping, and the pouch, and I didn't like the idea of a "blind stomach." However the VSG is a restrictive procedure only and my body NEEDS malabsorption.  I have been diligent about following the program of the VSG as recommended by my WLS clinic, however I haven't lost a pound since July 2012.  I have even resorted back to fad "dieting" to keep the weight off.  Right now I am in the process of trying to see if I can get revised to the DS.  I have a new insurance company and job. The lesson: Think twice, cut once.  Swing critters for me that all goes well. 

Thanks, for reading.

~ Elena.

Valerie G.
on 3/9/15 6:22 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

I'm glad that you recognize that your body needs the malabsorption and you're not suffering any self-loathing.  For many of us, it just is what it is.  Well-wishes going out that your new insurance can finish the job for you.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

(deactivated member)
on 3/9/15 2:33 pm

You should also know the insurance companies routinely reject requests for the DS procedure. Mine was turned down twice before they finally approved. If you fight them enough, they will often give in, especially if your doctor is recommending the procedure.

Good luck!

Elyssa
on 3/10/15 8:32 am

I hope everything goes well for you!  I am just in the beginning stages of the process but I've decided on DS too!  Hopefully your insurance will pay for yours!

kddub
on 3/12/15 5:07 am
DS on 10/10/14

Congratulations on the weight loss you have achieved.  Good luck with the revision!

I am so happy with my DS (from Dr. Sudan too!).  My partner had VSG (the day before my surgery) and she has lost much less and struggles much more.  I love my DS and thank Dr. Sudan for saving my life. 

HW 310  CW 222   SW 295  GW 175

DS 10/10/14 by Dr. Ranjan Sudan - Duke Medicine

LadyDi9080
on 3/16/15 2:35 am - Tallahassee, FL

I agree with that Val said. I know what it is like when insurance won't coorperate! I think that is why it is so important for anyone researching WLS know themselves and what type of eater they are. I too knew I would need the malabsortion eventually. At nine years out, I need it now!

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 135 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 678 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 236 views