Labs

ashleynicole86
on 8/24/15 6:57 am, edited 8/24/15 7:48 am - SC

Hi, does anyone else go to their PCP to get their lab work done? This is what I have been doing for the past few years and just create my own lab slip for my doctor to sign off on.  It has become increasingly frustrating though because I have to explain every year why I'm having to do this and I'm just tired of it. My surgeon is out of state so I feel like it's a waste of my time just doing a phone consultation to get a lab slip. They really don't go over much and charge more than what my typical co-pay is.

Has anyone else been doing the same thing as me?  What labs do you normally request?  It may just be time for me to seek out another PCP.

Thanks!

k__
on 8/24/15 8:41 am - Bellevue, WA
DS on 08/06/15

Is it possible to post a link to your do-it-yourself lab slip? I'm still a ways out from needing my first lab, but am anxious about making sure all the right things are being tested. I'll be going through my PCP also, although we have a long standing relationship and I don't think I'll have trouble with her understanding why I need these values to be closely monitored.

Terri553
on 8/24/15 8:57 am

I fax my list of labs to my PCP's office. His nurse writes up the script, I pick it up, have labs drawn at Labcorp. His office has a lab for general blood work, but not the vitamin special handling. Then I make apt to see him after results are in and we go over them. He is so-so on the DS, willing to let me do what I need to. I have educated him and his nurse, and he has 2 more patients, now that have had the DS. When I have to see him during the year for misc issues, I always remind him that I am his "special" patient and he just laughs.

Dr Keshishian 12/2000

jaestar67
on 9/8/15 7:55 pm

Hi Terri553! This is completely off topic here but I noticed your surgeons name is Dr. Keshishian? Is this the Dr. Keshishian in Glendale, CA? I am considering having a consultation with him. He is the only doctor that does DS at Huntington Hospital in Pasadena,CA? If so, I'd love to get some feedback from you about him.

~Jae

P.S. this is absolutely fate if it is the same dr. I just signed up for OH tonight and this is the first post I clicked on...wow

Valerie G.
on 8/25/15 12:16 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

My PCP would slip it all in with my annual physical - no problemo

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

jashley
on 8/26/15 9:41 pm
DS on 12/19/12

I give my PCP the list of labs I need.  His office does the request, then I go to the next major city to have the blood work done.  I've never had to explain/justify why it was needed - it's all in my file and the same medical codes are used for insurance purposes...

But my PCP does not take the initiative on anything.  I get my numbers, track it all myself, and if something is strange my PCP will say "Go talk to your surgeon." as if that will fix anything!  My surgeon isn't going to be up on all the lab numbers either - nor is he any good for supplement info.

I feel your frustration.  Doing all the work, and telling everyone in the medical community what needs to be done because they know nothing about a DS gets old after a while.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 121 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 663 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 234 views