fat soluble vits - best time to take

PeteA
on 8/31/15 7:24 am - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

I've been going around and around, in a technical way, about the best way to take fat soluble vitamins (ADEK) especially the water miscible ones we get from Biotech.

It's very clear not to take any gel caps. Very long standing advice. It is also very clear you don't want to take them with a meal that is high fat as that makes the whole thing go through our systems too fast and then reduces the time for absorption to take place.

As I try and think about the absolute best way to take them I find myself trying to decide between taking them in between meals(empty stomach), with regular meals (ie not especially high fat), or with just some small amount of fat (one article suggested 5 or 6 walnuts - a normie suggestion not DS - not something that would cause me to do a quick trip to the bathroom).

Any thoughts on this?  I started thinking about this because in spite of getting more sun this summer than I have for many years and not changing my D dosage (2 50k biotech a day) my D dropped slightly from high 40's to low 40's and I wondered if there wasn't something I could do different with my vits. I usually don't pay attention to eating them with meals or in between. I start at different times and if a dose falls with a meal fine and if it doesn't that is fine too but maybe I should be a little more aware of what I am taking with food and what I should try to do without???????

Pete

PS - I am a geeky guy sometimes and this led me to start a discussion on a different forum about the actual cellular steps involved in the absorption of fat soluble vitamins. It caused confusion among 99% of the people reading the post so I went in a different direction here.  

Valerie G.
on 8/31/15 8:11 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Some who were struggling got results taking them just before bedtime.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

PeteA
on 8/31/15 10:26 am - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

I did that with my vitamin A for a while. I guess that lends itself to the "empty stomach" idea for problem vites. Night time has gotten to be a little bit of a problem since I was put on thyroid meds. I try not to do any other vitamins with the synthroid except for Vitamin C and I'm not quite sure about that. I haven't seen it in more than one or two places as being helpful with thyroid med absorption, kind of like iron I think.

NoreenRT
on 8/31/15 5:00 pm - Warner Robins, GA

I won't be much help in the vites department for your answer, I just know I take my iron when my feet hit the floor first thing in the morning - 5 a.m.

Then I take my synthroid one hour later. 

Each of these are taken with 8 oz of plain room temp water 

My first batch of multi/calcium/D3 etc., is taken at 8 a.m.

I've done it like this for 5 yrs. and my labs are consistent and good.

Hope this helps.

Noreen  HW 352 / SW 324 / CW 175/ LW/ 148 / GW 150   (achieved Aug 14 '11)

PeteA
on 8/31/15 8:11 pm - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

I'm thrilled with the timing you describe. On line synthroid recommends not taking vitamins (mostly calcium type vits****il 4 hours after you take the synthroid. Depending on when I get up that kind of timing really changes my vit amin schedule for the day. I'll have to experiment a little.

Thanks.

JazzyOne9254
on 8/31/15 8:53 am, edited 8/31/15 8:54 am

My bedtime dose includes A,D,E AND K1 along with multivitamin.  I use the Bio-Tech capsules.

I fell off my game in a big way - so much that I was Dx with malnutrition.I'm back on it now, and I'm

due for labs the middle of September, so that will tell the tale.

HW 405/SW 397/CW 138/GW 160  Do the research!  Check the stats!
The DS is *THE* solution to Severe Morbid Obesity!

PeteA
on 8/31/15 8:17 pm - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

I think that is a good plan for those biotech fat solubles. It tends more towards the empty stomach, or even if if ou have a late snack it's a more empty stomach than during the day.

The more I think and write about it the more I think if you are really trying to get the very best results the biotech stuff should be as in-between meals as much as you can. Something I plan to pay more attention to since, mostly, I just time my batches at 2 - 3 hours between each batch and didn't really think about where that fell in my eating habits.

J G.
on 9/5/15 10:04 pm

Hi Pete, I'm 7 years out (can't believe it.)  About 4 or 5 years ago I started taking my A,D and E on an empty stomach and it gave me great labs.  I take them in 2 batches when I get up to pee at night, but some times I sleep more so I take the 2nd batch 1st thing when I get up and then just don't eat for a while.  I also decided to throw in calcium  at those times.  Hope this helps!

PeteA
on 9/7/15 7:27 am - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

Thanks. Always good to see actual experience over guesses based on research scientists do on normies. I do think, at this point, the empty stomach is best along with a normal fat content ntrition standard. I had just gotten somewhat sloppy whith when they came up in my regular schedule. I used to do Zinc and Vitamin A at night but then had to move my thyroid medicine into that spot so that made me re-evaluate where exactly I ended up taking things.

Pete

JazzyOne9254
on 10/17/15 2:19 pm

JG.

I appreciate your sharing your Biotech sequencing.

I'm going to try that. I always take all my vites away from food to try to get maximum results.

Once thing I'm going to try is is taking calcium/magnesium/zinc/D together. There's a chemical synergy between all of those, and I'll see where I come out with that on my next full labs.

I'm currently battling malnutrition right now. Fell off my game due to emotional trauma, but doing all I can to get back on track and to healing.

HW 405/SW 397/CW 138/GW 160  Do the research!  Check the stats!
The DS is *THE* solution to Severe Morbid Obesity!

Most Active
Recent Topics
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 6 replies · 355 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 133 views
How can I gain weight?
DEJanieT · 7 replies · 1049 views