Weight gain, 7 years post DS

geberika
on 10/12/15 11:56 am

Hi all, I used to post here a lot before/just after my DS. I had it done in 2008 in Miami with Dr. Gagner. I have LOVED my DS, and I got down to 131lbs (I'm 5'6"). I wore a medium in shirts and a size 4 in jeans.

However, I have slowly been gaining weight since 2013, and now I am up to 160lbs, a size 10 in pants. This actually puts my BMI at overweight! I would like to lose the weight again. I recently began tracking my nutrition on the My Fitness Pal app, and I would like some suggestions:

• How many calories per day should I aim for?
  • How many carbohydrates per day?
  • How much fat? How much protein?

Thank you!

Erika - DS in 2008 - SW 162, LW 131 (2009), CW 160

MajorMom
on 10/12/15 12:44 pm - VA

Here's what I sent in a message but I can put it here too.

You asked about losing weight at 7 years post-op. I've been seeing DSrs trying a combo of high fat, low carb and intermittent fasting. Most try to only eat during an 8 hour period and fast for 16 hours. Here's a link to the group on Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/groups/IF.LCHF411/ Many have had great success. If you have the willpower, it should work. I'm still pretty sensitive to too much fat but otherwise this thing works well.

As far as your questions above: No idea about the calories. Carbs should be under 75 net carbs a day and closer to 50 if you can do it. Fat is very individual but I don't avoid it and don't count it. I aim for 120 grams of protein or more a day.

--g

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

geberika
on 10/12/15 1:05 pm

Thank you! I requested to join the group.

Erika - DS in 2008 - SW 162, LW 131 (2009), CW 160

PeteA
on 10/13/15 8:03 pm - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

I'm 2.5 years out and use MyFitnessPal. I just use the pre-set calories to lose a pound a week. I hardly ever make that without adding in some exercise but it gives me the tracking to review and something to shoot for. The app has a great database of foods already in it.

I've been meaning to add some exercise hacks I got on FB that allow you to account for some of the malabsorption through the use of custom exercise. The ide is to use the grams of protein and/or the grams of fat for the day to add back some calories but I haven't done that yet. I'm not quite sure where I want to peg the malabsorption at.

I shoot for 120-150 gms of protein a day and try to keep carbs under a 100, not very successfully. It's a balancing act. I don't really look at my fat totals except as a foot note to the rest.

I keep meaning to write up the exercise hacks. Maybe this weekend.

Good luck..

Pete

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 278 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 752 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 251 views