Anyone on here been revised from Sleeve to DS?

RedHead86
on 2/29/16 10:23 am

I had the sleeve in 2013. I have had a lot of success but found myself at a standstill for over a year despite healthy eating and exercise. Had an upper GI and my sleeve is twisted and stretched a little and kind of a mess. The surgeon I met with wants to revise me to RNY and he doesn't even offer the DS. Meeting with him I at least got to see the shape and malformation of my sleeve. Ok great. I am terrified to revise to RNY. I am looking into the DS. This surgeon that wanted to revise me told me that I won't lose any more weight with the revision for DS or RNY and that he wanted to do the revision just to fix my GERD. My reflux doesn't bother me at all. I manage it just fine and it's not bad and has started to subside on it's own the further out I get.

I dont' really want to go through with a second surgery with no hope of weight loss. I was 402 before the sleeve and got down to 343 with the pre-surgery diet and am now 232. I have had some success but have been stuck for a long time. DS seems like a better (and safer) option for me since I have the sleeve already. Has anyone had a hard time getting approved for this revision? The surgeon I met with said my insurance would approve me for RNY for the GERD due to medical necessity but that DS wouldn't be approved anyway.

Also if you were revised from sleeve to DS did they re-sleeve your stomach? Mine is stretched and mis-shaped I would want that fixed.

PattyL
on 2/29/16 2:37 pm

Sleeve to DS is a logical progression.  It's not an uncommon surgery and the people who have it done usually lose weight.  I have run across several who lost really well.  There are some docs who prefer to do the DS in steps.  First the sleeve and later, the switch.

You need to see a REAL DS surgeon.  Not many do the surgery and will try to sell you on whatever procedure they do.  You can find lots of docs here who advertise the DS but in truth they are practicing 'bait and don't switch'.  The idea is to get you into the office and talk you into something else.  Always follow the money!

You did really well with your sleeve.  The DS will most likely finish the job and make it much easier to maintain your loss!

RedHead86
on 3/1/16 11:09 am

That's kind of how I am feeling. I am very scared of RNY simply because I am already sleeved. Even though it's inconvenient I did find a DS surgeon about 2 hours away from me so I have filled out the initial info and am waiting for them to call me. Apparently he is well known for this. Central Valley bariatrics in Glendale, CA it's Dr Keshishian 

PattyL
on 3/1/16 11:45 am

He is a great choice!  You will not be disappointed.

larra
on 3/1/16 3:58 pm - bay area, CA

Dr. Keshishian is a very well known DS surgeon with an excellent reputation, and much loved by his patients as well. He's well worth the extra distance.

Larra

nicholivolkoff
on 3/7/16 11:20 am - Canada

DS is not a cure. It is a tool. You must be prepared to work the tool, and not rely on it like I have. I only gained after a full DS, but that is MY fault not the surgery's fault. Do not rely on it. Not a miracle by any means.

RedHead86
on 3/7/16 1:59 pm

I agree. None of the surgeries are a cure they are all a tool. This is NOT the "easy way out". There is no easy way. Thankfully I have also learned that I have to put the  work in. HAve you lost your gain back? Thank you for sharing your experience also.

Marquismark
on 3/12/16 1:53 pm
DS on 12/10/15

Not a miracle, but by FAR DS is the most effective tool out there.  Not an opinion.  The stats don't lie.

Sleeve to DS revision by Dr. Gary Belzberg. Highest Weight (pre-sleeve): 325 (40.6 BMI) DS Revision Surgery Weight: 295 (36.7 BMI) Current Weight: 235 (29.5 BMI) 6'3"

SmilinsShrinking
on 4/25/16 2:52 pm - Kent, WA
DS on 08/05/16

Hey Marquismark, I see you had the DS in December, how are you doing so far?

I'm hoping to get my band out and a revision to DS. I'm reading as much add I can. It's nice to hear from people who've been there. If you have time to reply, I'd appreciate it.  ~ Smilin

Marquismark
on 4/25/16 4:02 pm
DS on 12/10/15

So far, so good.  Down 54 pounds with 54 to to go.  First 6 weeks were not much fun.  Very fatigued.  Felt like I was on hunger strike.  Also, became so constipated that I got an anal fissure.  That's since healed and my energy has returned.  Fissure could have been prevented with stool softeners which I now take on a daily basis with my vitamins. Learn from my mistake, please.

My labs have come back fine except for the iron and calcium, the two usual suspects.  Upped the doses of both. We'll see. 

I did a lot of research and I do believe the DS is the best option IF, IF, IF you are not a leeming.  You must have a proactive personality, not fear challenging doctors and,most importantly, be willing to comply with the supplement/protein requirements.  If you don't, you run the real risk of becoming deficient and getting sick. 

The good part is you can, within reason, eat what you want.  Fat is virtually a free food.  Some people have real trouble with carbs. I haven't.  I eat them (although less than before) and am still losing weight. 

Also, the gas can be bad. Some days, there's hardly any and/or it barely smells.  Other days it's worse than the holocaust, slavery and 9/11 combined. I would say that is the worse part.  The vitamins are no big deal.  Haven't had anything embarrassing yet.  I step outside when need be, but I'm sure one day I will get caught.  Hopefully, there'll be a German Sheppard nearby I can blame it on.

It's good that you're doing research. Keep up the good work!

M

Sleeve to DS revision by Dr. Gary Belzberg. Highest Weight (pre-sleeve): 325 (40.6 BMI) DS Revision Surgery Weight: 295 (36.7 BMI) Current Weight: 235 (29.5 BMI) 6'3"

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 268 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 743 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 250 views