11 years out

Isha F.
on 3/8/16 10:41 am

Hi everybody,

i wanted to do an update as yesterday was my 11 year anniversary of my DS.

it still remains in the top best decisions of my life.

i eat pretty normal, with guidelines being high protein, low-ish carb.

i avoid white bread.  If I want to eat something stupid (I.e. Doritos) I just have a handful.

i never deny myself if it is something new to try or a special occasion.  I just now have a serving, not 10 servings lol.  This was by far the best choice for me, and I love the quality of life it has given me.

i wish you all the best with your surgeries.  Knowledge is power. 

Isha - I lost 235 pounds EATING NORMAL!  Saavy? Click on my name to find out why I chose the Duodenal Switch Surgery instead. 

isha.jpg picture by leaannjohnson
 Captain Hook: [to Wendy] Didst thou ever want to be a pirate? 

PattyL
on 3/8/16 3:33 pm

Hi there!  Glad to hear you are still doing well.

valerina9
on 3/9/16 10:09 am

Congrats to you....I will be celebrating my 10 year Anniversary on May 15th and feeling the same as you - best decision of my life - despite all the issues we have to deal with.  Totally worth it.  

I have been having some weird things happen and I have a hard time finding stats on BPD DS patients 10 years out.   I have been checked head to toe and while everything seems "normal" which I am very thankful for, I continue to get these "pangs" in my tummy and tummy Charlie horses.  I actually get a lot of Charlie horses in my hands and feet....it's sooo strange and I've just re-run my bloods to see what's going on.   Have you had any of these problems?  Stomach pangs and Charlie horses in your stomach?    Thanks for your input.  And congrats again on your weight loss!!! 

Isha F.
on 3/11/16 10:24 pm

No hun, I have not.  Sorry that you are!  I hope you figure it out soon. Congrats to you also!

Isha - I lost 235 pounds EATING NORMAL!  Saavy? Click on my name to find out why I chose the Duodenal Switch Surgery instead. 

isha.jpg picture by leaannjohnson
 Captain Hook: [to Wendy] Didst thou ever want to be a pirate? 

cmberger929
on 4/12/16 9:54 pm - Sacramento, CA

Hi There and congratulations! I'm 7 years out and my sister is 5 years out from the DS. We both began experiencing frequent charlie horses. Mine started first, about 1.5 years ago, and got to where they would happen nearly daily. There is a certain spot in my abdomen that frequently cramps, and so do my hands, forearms and calves. My sisters cramping was much more frequent and severe, mostly in her thighs and calves. My doctor had me increase my magnesium and potassium, even though my bloodwork looked normal and it worked! My sister's doctor did some testing on her and could not find a cause, so I suggested she try my doctor's recommendation and it also worked for her. I don't think either of us get "pangs"though...

Christy

HW 374 ~ CW 227

sarah Shonfelt
on 4/20/16 6:50 am - Acworth, GA
I have also been feeling the Charlie horses regularly and have been tested head to toe, and been seen by a neurologist, no one can figure it out. I do have low potassium and iron from my DS 8 years out. It is frustrating, not sure if this is arthritis or a DS issue.

Thanks, Sarah                 HW: 325 SW: 311  -  DS Surgery 10/15/08

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 114 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 658 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 234 views