Fish oil

Sandra N.
on 6/25/16 10:10 pm - Grain Valley, MO

I have just been diagnosed with severely dry eyes, and the doctor told me I need to take fish oil, everyone I find in in a gel cap form and i am not sure what to take i have heard gelcaps do not dissolve qickly enough. I tried punturing the gelcap and putting it into peanut oil. OMG i thought i was going to gag to death it was so bad . I really need help with this problem please.

Sandy

MajorMom
on 6/26/16 2:49 am - VA

The doc doesn't realize you malabsorb about 80% of the oils you eat?  Maybe an eye ointment would be better. I have one that you just apply under your lower lid at bedtime. Makes it a challenge to read in bed for a few minutes.  ;)

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

larra
on 6/26/16 9:24 am - bay area, CA

The problem is that you won't absorb the fish oil, or at least not much of it, because oil = fat and we absorb only about 20% of the fat we consume. I agree with major mom that you need a different method of delivery for your medication. Your doctor clearly didn't understand this, so explain it to him and see what alternatives are available for you. And if he doesn't know and isn't caring enough to find out, ask a pharmacist.

Larra

Valerie G.
on 6/26/16 2:10 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

If it's the omega acids you need, I know that patched.com has patches for that, specifically.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 264 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 740 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 248 views