DS Friendly Blood Pressure Lowering Supplements???

frankurban
on 8/9/16 12:44 am - CA

My blood pressure is on the high end of normal, borderline. I'd like to see if I can find some DS friendly supplements to bring it under control before moving to medication.

Studies have shown CoQ10 reduces blood pressure, but most are fat soluble. I found this water soluble CoQ10 that might do the trick, but wanted to see if anyone had some wisdom they'd like to share before I pull the trigger: https://www.amazon.com/Qunol-Ultra-CoQ10-Absorption-Coenzyme /dp/B004C5XVUK

Any info appreciated: a better brand, other supplements that are good for us DS'ers, dosage recommendations, etc.

Thanks!!!

- Frank

PattyL
on 8/10/16 10:53 am

Switch to Morton Lite Salt.  Much of the sodium is replaced by potassium and that's good for most of us.  Most everyone really!

frankurban
on 8/10/16 6:05 pm - CA

Thanks Patty, but I don't add salt to anything :(

Frank
frankurban
on 8/10/16 6:13 pm - CA

I've been doing some research and it looks like water soluble CoQ10 is the most effective, but I'm not sure of the right dosage.

Other supplements I've come up with that look good include folic acid, L-arginine, garlic and Omega-3 (water soluble).

CoQ10 is the only one I've found legit research to back up the claims for so far, "CoQ10 has the potential to lower systolic blood pressure by up to 17 mm Hg and diastolic blood pressure by 10 mm Hg, without significant side effects." http://umm.edu/health/medical/altmed/supplement/coenzyme-q10

From what I recall, folic acid is one of the vitamin levels we DS'ers check for already and my levels are on target, so not sure I want to mess with that one.

I take a good deal of medication for other ailments already and I'm trying hard to reduce, not increase my medication intake.

Anywho... if there's anyone out there already managing high/borderline blood pressure w/ supplements I'd appreciate your wisdom on the matter.

Frank
Beverly N.
on 8/10/16 7:20 pm - Aurora, IL

Rooibos tea??  Many health benefits - including relieving and preventing hypertension.   And yummy too!!  :)

Beverly
PeteA
on 8/15/16 10:57 am - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

Sorry - no supplement suggestions. I recently went back on Lisinopril to keep a tighter control on my BP
because of some borderline kidney issues. Pretty low dose but I understand the thrill of getting off most of your meds
so good luck with the supplements.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 297 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 769 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 255 views