Do DS'ers Malabsorp Triglycerides? Mine Are High, But HDL & LDL Great?

frankurban
on 10/16/16 4:46 pm - CA

I'm confused again!

I've never figured this one out. If we're malabsorbing 80% of all fat, shouldn't that affect our triglycerides as well as HDL and LDL? Maybe my situation isn't the norm, but while my HDL and LDL are in good shape, my triglycerides are very high. I've cut back on fat intake and am working with a Cardiologist to resolve, but it strikes me as odd that the DS (at least in my case) doesn't seem to have much of an affect on triglycerides.

Thanks to everybody that's been giving me their feedback recently. I'm a long term DS'er (2009) that's been on auto-pilot for awhile. Still getting my annual labs and taking care of myself, but after all these years I'm a little out of date w/ my research and my memory is a little foggy in spots.

Frank
PattyL
on 10/16/16 9:18 pm

It's a blood lipid and it's not something you eat and therefore malabsorb.  For a DSer, the best guess for cause would be lack of physical activity/exercise.  Avoiding fat is not going to fix it.  Actually the quick and dirty fix is usually a low carb no sugar diet.  Combine that with an increase in activity and that usually will take care of it.

If you google you will find all sorts of info on this.  It's very common.

hollykim
on 10/17/16 7:59 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On October 16, 2016 at 11:46 PM Pacific Time, frankurban wrote:

I'm confused again!

I've never figured this one out. If we're malabsorbing 80% of all fat, shouldn't that affect our triglycerides as well as HDL and LDL? Maybe my situation isn't the norm, but while my HDL and LDL are in good shape, my triglycerides are very high. I've cut back on fat intake and am working with a Cardiologist to resolve, but it strikes me as odd that the DS (at least in my case) doesn't seem to have much of an affect on triglycerides.

Thanks to everybody that's been giving me their feedback recently. I'm a long term DS'er (2009) that's been on auto-pilot for awhile. Still getting my annual labs and taking care of myself, but after all these years I'm a little out of date w/ my research and my memory is a little foggy in spots.

there could also be heriditary issues at play.

Petunia
on 10/17/16 8:39 am

I'm 10 years out and the last time I was tested my triglycerides were 89, HDL and LDL were also normal.  I'm not a very active person, I agree with maybe yours in an inherited condition.

H.A.L.A B.
on 10/19/16 3:25 am

Triglycerides are made in the body...they are made as a response to eating too many carbs, too much alcohol..and too many trans fats (in processed foods) . Or smoking... 

Gentics may plays a role. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Most Active
Recent Topics
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 6 replies · 364 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 137 views
How can I gain weight?
DEJanieT · 7 replies · 1051 views