Revision to DS from VSG

nedsmehlp
on 11/2/16 10:36 am - Hutchinson, KS

Just wanted to find out if others have had a revision from VSG to DS, not a virgin DS.  If so, how much weight did you lose.  Was it a slow process to lose since it wasn't a virgin DS?  Anything else you can tell me would be greatly appreciated.  Complications, etc.

Thanks

Valerie G.
on 11/2/16 11:21 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

I'm not one of them, but many will chime in soon, I"m sure.

Welcome!

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

misyoungthang
on 11/2/16 1:08 pm
DS on 06/13/16

I went from GVS to DS just a few months ago. I had my sleeve in 2/2011 and lost 80 lbs. I never reached my goal weight but was close to my goal size. I had medical conditions and steroid treatments that cause most of my weight regain plus I had a baby 2 years ago. I didn't gain a lot of weight during my pregnancy only 15 lbs and 5 more on bed rest the last 2 weeks of pregnancy. I gained back 60 lbs of my total weight loss. I had the DS 6/2016 so I'm still a newbie at this. I've lost 40 lbs in 49 months. My goal is to lose a total of at least 100 lbs. the biggest goal is protein. You have to have it daily and take your multivitimans. I just realized from another post that I am not getting enough protein and need to have more daily. Ideally 90 grams per day. Your body only absorbs 1/3 to half of it. 

misyoungthang
on 11/2/16 1:10 pm
DS on 06/13/16

I lost 40 lbs in 4 months. I'm sorry spell check changed my numbers!??

nedsmehlp
on 11/2/16 8:08 pm - Hutchinson, KS

Thank you for your experience, I really appreciate the information.  I'm anxious but scared to have the DS.  If you have any more things you have experienced please let me know. 

misyoungthang
on 11/3/16 8:48 am
DS on 06/13/16

I was really scared to do a 2nd surgery because I kinda felt like a failure for my 1st surgery not being a success but having this 2nd surgery was a blessing. I'm feeling better both mentally and physically. I had surgery on my back to help me to be able to exercise and remain active verses when I had the first surgery. I was also afraid of going to the bathroom too much because I work in a high demand IT job. I didn't want to stand out but it's controlled by what I eat. I eat really lean mostly protein a piece of fruit and veggies for dinner. Sometimes I don't have space for all of it. I have a small serving of fruit after my protein and then eat veggies last to stay fuller longer. I'm here if you have not questions. Do you have something specific you want to know the answer to? I asked my Dr everything and made sure he answered everything. Oh and I have a Single Loop DS and not Double Loop DS.

misyoungthang
on 11/3/16 8:58 am
DS on 06/13/16

Complications: I had a hard time going #2. It took over a month with the help of a suppository. I took every time of over the counter medication, prescriptions, and nothing worked. Even now I still don't go as often as many say they go 4-10 times a day. I thought something was wrong with me. My Dr said I was actually filling the proper meal plan and eating right which may make it harder to go. I may go a few times a week or once in 2 weeks. It doesn't matter how many veggies I eat. I cut back on the protein supplements if it's been a week without going. If you eat high fat foods you will go more often like sausages, chocolate, bread, and high starches. This is my personal experience so I can speak for others. I don't personally know anyone who had this surgery but this OH website has helped me dramatically!

VeronicaJ5
on 11/7/16 5:17 pm - Albany, NY
DS on 07/05/16

I had my sleeve revised to the DS(the actual DS not the other stuff floating around) The only complication was self induced constipation... whatever you do don't cut out your fat! It is in your mind ... drilled into your brains to eat low/non fat .. you can NOT for the safety of your butt do such a thing ;). My surgeon explained to me that the size of my sleeve now is the size he would've made it anyway to do the DS. I started a preop liquid diet on June 25th lost 9 pounds, surgery July 5th , since then down 41 pounds all together. from 302 to 261. best choice ever. I actually fit into clothes I couldn't when I got down to 250 with my sleeve.

310/190/170
sw/cw/gw
"I don't cry over spilled milk because I'm lactose intolerant"

nedsmehlp
on 11/8/16 1:21 pm - Hutchinson, KS

Thanks VeronicaJ5 for the information.  I am so anxious to be able to have the DS.  Congratulations on the great weight lose!  Hope I can lose 10 lbs a month too!

PeteA
on 11/18/16 8:43 pm - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

I didn't have the 2 step DS (vsg followed by the switch part later) but it was a definite possibility when I went under the knife. I've seen several posters who have done this in 2 steps or thought they were done with the VSG and then went on to have the switch.

While it didn't seem to make any difference on achieving goal weight most of the people I've seen think it goes a little slower (weight loss) when you get the switch part later. I think this may have something to do with not having the initial intake limitations the VSG at the same time as the mal absorption from the switch.

Did your surgeon say anything about looking at your stomach and tightening up the VSG if they think it necessary?

Pete

HW 552 CW 198 SW 464 4/15/13 - Lap DS by Dr. Philip Schauer - Cleveland Clinic.

Most Active
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 95 views
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 95 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 648 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 233 views