RNY to DS questions

Toya C.
on 11/22/16 7:05 am - Baltimore, MD

Morning folks,

1.  Has anyone had RNY to DS revision by a Maryland based surgeon?  If so, who?

2.  How is recovery process?  (generically, I know that recovery differs from person to person)

3.  How laborious is the insurance approval process?  Or should I abandon the idea of insurance coverage?

larra
on 11/22/16 8:45 am - bay area, CA

RNY to DS revision is a very complex and challenging operation that only a handful of DS surgeons do at all. It requires taking apart your gastric bypass, restoring the original anatomy of stomach and small intestine, and then doing the DS, meaning creating the sleeve gastrectomy and the rerouting of the small intestine. The complication rate is substantial, and it is crucial to have a surgeon who is very experienced with this specific type of revision.

In the Maryland area, the only surgeon I can think of who might be doing this revision is Dr. Elariny. You may need to travel, but it's worth the inconvenience to have the right surgeon. Recovery - variable, and can be prolonged if you have a major complication such as a leak.

Insurance approval - you need to know the specifics of your policy. Some people have a pretty easy time of it, others have to fight, and many people have no coverage at all for revision unless there is something anatomically wrong with the original operation. Get your EOC (Evidence of Coverage, a lengthy document with all the specifics and NOT just a summary of coverage) to see what your chances of approval are.

Larra

Toya C.
on 11/22/16 8:53 am - Baltimore, MD

Thank you kindly Larra.  Simply in the phase of exploring options.  

Tyler615
on 2/19/17 8:07 am, edited 2/19/17 9:04 pm

I am from the DMV and just had this revision 10 days ago with Dr. K in California.  I spoke to Dr. Elariny in VA before making my final decision to come out to California.

The recovery is not easy but so far so good.  I have not had any complications but there is considerable pain.  Since I refuse to take opiate pain meds I just take it easy and lis ten to my body.

My insurance has a one surgery in a lifetime clause so I didn't even bother to go that route.  I self paid because I was ready to have my surgery now! 

Toya C.
on 2/19/17 8:12 pm - Baltimore, MD

Congratulations to you & speedy recovery.  Thank you for responding, feedback is helpful.

Dr K has the best reviews and I wish I could access his care.  I have an appt with a surgeon in PA. 

What were w your reservations with Dr. Elariny?

Tyler615
on 2/20/17 5:27 am, edited 2/19/17 9:27 pm

Thank you!  I woke up at home today feeling pretty good!  I don't really have anything negative to say about Dr. Elariny.  I just did not have the same feeling of confidence in him that I have in Dr. K.  There isn't enough information out there for me to get a good idea of his skill level as it relates to this particular revision and speaking to him and his staff did absolutely nothing to convince me.  

I will tell you don't let anyone talk you into doing a RNY revision.   I did that 9 years ago and it was a complete waste of time.  I did not loose a single pound and continued to suffer from terrible reflux and bloating.  

Toya C.
on 2/20/17 5:58 pm - Baltimore, MD

Have you traveled back to the area so soon after surgery?  What's the estimated recovery time?

I have an appt with Dr.  Bonanni in PA in March.  No worries, after doing the research I am certain malabsorption along with revised restriction is probably the most effective means of combating the weight re-gain.  

Tyler615
on 2/20/17 6:54 pm

Yes, I flew home last evening.  The recovery period will be 4-6 weeks I'm sure however,  I only had to stay in LA for 10 day post-op. I am not familiar with that surgeon but I really only researched a few for the sake of due diligence.  I always knew I would go to Dr. K. 

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 146 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 688 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 237 views