Zinc

islandgirl55
on 2/23/17 6:29 pm

i had my 1 year post op check up. Everything is good but my zinc is low. I'll start a zinc supplement. Any reasons why zinc would be low? I also am a little low with Vit. A. Any insight is appreciated. 

RNY revision to Lap DS  Feb, 2016, Dr. Ayoola. 

HW 235/SW 184/CW 127

Beam me up Scottie
on 2/23/17 7:19 pm
The reasons zinc would be low? You have malabsorbtion. You need to suppliment. Do you take a zinc suppliment?

I take 200 mgs a day (4 pills)

Your labs should be the guide to what vits you need to increase and decrease. FYI same on Vitamin A. If you are trending low you should be increasing your suppliments.

Scott
airbender
on 2/23/17 8:04 pm

As a DSer we malabsorb about 80% fats depending due to a few factors (age, gender, length of limbs-common channel, overall health etc....)  both Zn and Vit A are fat soluble amongst others. 

If you have a specific question for me, PM me or I will not see it, as I don't check responses on the forums and don't have anything forwarded to my email.

Valerie G.
on 2/24/17 6:22 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

I have been fighting my zinc levels for 11 years.  My problem is that when I take more than a double-dose I break out in a rash.  My only saving grace is that I take it with copper to increase absorption.  I'd hoped that patches would increase my absorption, but no dice there either.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

islandgirl55
on 2/27/17 12:08 pm

Thanks. It just seemed to be a strange issue but I guess you are right. I have started a zinc supplement. 

RNY revision to Lap DS  Feb, 2016, Dr. Ayoola. 

HW 235/SW 184/CW 127

Gavin B.
on 5/13/17 1:46 pm - Orlando, FL

islandgirl,

I need to talk to you! I am having surgery with Dr. Ayoola and am also out of town.

Most Active
Recent Topics
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 6 replies · 356 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 133 views
How can I gain weight?
DEJanieT · 7 replies · 1049 views