Talk to me about DS

MamaGriff
on 7/31/17 4:08 pm

I'm an 18 year RNY post op. I've regained 100lbs of my 200lb loss. Looking into a conversion to a duodenal switch.

NoreenRT
on 7/31/17 5:14 pm - Warner Robins, GA

I'll let the more experienced revision folks jump in here. I just know I've read so many stories like yours. Then to read how happy and excited they are after their revision.

good luck on your path.

Noreen  HW 352 / SW 324 / CW 175/ LW/ 148 / GW 150   (achieved Aug 14 '11)

Linram1960
on 8/4/17 5:44 am
DS on 10/30/17

I am also a patient of Dr Bonanni .I will be having the DS within the next few months.I am very scared .Do you have any regrets?How did you do post op?

Linram1960
on 9/26/17 6:35 am
DS on 10/30/17

Well I got the call yesterday that my insurance approved my DS .My data is 10/25/17.I would like to know what side effects I should expect .Also did anyone have issues with bathroom problems.

PeteA
on 8/1/17 9:22 am - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

I'm not a conversion but people seem to lose a little slower after being converted to a DS but still very steady and I haven't seen anything that says people that convert from a RnY lose any less overall. I think you might see the long lasting malabsorption as a real benefit. As you saw no WLS surgery is perfect but the possibility of regain after the DS is much less and I think much of what I've see is that the amount is lower when there is regain. Keeping it off is what sold me on the DS.

Best thing I ever did. I finished a 25 mile bike ride on Sunday and I never thought I would be able to do something like that.

There are some lifestyle changes but for me they have all been minor and I am able to keep to my vitamin schedule perfectly except for when I have to stop for some kind of procedure.

I hope that helps. Lots more to talk about when you get further into your research and have some specific questions. I found the archives here an invaluable resource pre-op to find the questions that I wasn't even aware I had but the more you learn the more questions you can have.

Pete

HW 552 CW 198 SW 464 4/15/13 - Lap DS by Dr. Philip Schauer - Cleveland Clinic.

larra
on 8/1/17 5:24 pm - bay area, CA

I didn't have a revision so I can't speak to that, but I can say that the DS has the best statistics of any bariatric surgery for percentage excess weight loss, for maintaining that weight loss (so important, as you have learned) and for resolution of almost all comorbidities. There are only a few DS surgeons who do RNY to DS revisions as it's a very complex surgery. it involves taking apart your gastric bypass, restoring the original anatomy, and then doing the whole DS. That's a lot of surgery and the risks are significant, but on the other hand you have risks of remaining MO and also quality of life to consider.

More info in a pm so be on the lookout for it.

Larra

Beam me up Scottie
on 8/8/17 8:18 pm
There is a concurrent post about DS to RNY revisions. Plus if you search this site, there are many posts about this.

Have you tried using your "tool" to lose weight. There are a lot of posts on the RNYforum about people losing weight (getting back on track) etc.

I know losing is hard.....but it's easier after WLS.

Scott
Janet P.
on 8/9/17 9:58 am
On July 31, 2017 at 11:08 PM Pacific Time, MamaGriff wrote:

I'm an 18 year RNY post op. I've regained 100lbs of my 200lb loss. Looking into a conversion to a duodenal switch.

MamaGriff - also not a revision (virgin DS) but I will say that this is a very complicated surgery that requires an expert surgeon. Not all surgeons that do the DS can perform the RNY to DS revision. Make sure whoever you are talking to has experience doing not just the DS but the revision.

From everything I have read and heard, revisioners tend to lose slower than virgin DSers. The DS also requires more vitamin supplements than you're probably used to with the RNY.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

Most Active
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 94 views
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 94 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 648 views
Need help for my mom