The book life XL

Katetolov
on 8/13/17 11:02 am

Have any of you had a chance to read this book?

To be clear i'm not speaking disparagingly of the author is an extraordinary man who's done wonderful things. What I am looking at is his experience with the surgery. Absolutely traumatizing for someone who is considering it. I think what made matters worse with the fact that the only other person he spoke of or seem to have met with DS passed away with the same symptoms he had. The bottom line was that he probably was going to die either way at over 500 pounds and that there's no question this surgery saved his life. Clearly just a bumpy road going. I admire his bravery, strength and work ethic. Anyone who loses that much weight as a hero in my eyes. Does anyone know of any other books out there did speak of an experience it's less complicated?

Suffering terribly from cold feet. Little concerned because I am a band revision after having so many surgeries with my band. My PC is also concerned because I'm already malsorbing fat ( doing a series of test and I realize even if I am it's not to the extent of the surgery would help me do ) and as for the sleeve and I began to question this due to having a band and the esophagus holding food would it be less effective live a stand Alone VSG after a few bands ... all the same I would only do a DS at this point I'm likely over thinking after readings his storie ... which in anecdotal and statistically speaking isn't terribly rational.

FYI I hope this is legible am unable to proofread it because the centering's off so some of my sentences chopped off of the page.

Thanks for listening would love to hear anyone's thoughts on the matter

Beam me up Scottie
on 8/13/17 2:16 pm
I'm sorry I trying to understand what you are asking, I have not read the book, but many people have the DS and do not die. In fact, the statistics show that the rate of complications is similar to other WLS.

I'm 11 years post op...and haven't had any issues. When someone weighs 500 lbs they are bound to have co-morbidities that make it more likely to die post op (high blood pressure, heart issues, diabetes, etc). While people tend to want to blame WLS, it could be a number of issues that do not resolve post-WLS that could cause death.

I'm not sure if this answered your question, but if you want to read about people's history just go back a couple of hundred pages on this site and start reading.

Katetolov
on 8/13/17 7:27 pm

Janet P.
on 8/14/17 12:44 pm

I don't know anything about this person or this book, but I do know dozens and dozens of people who have had the DS and none have died. My surgeon actually operated on people who no one else would touch, simply because they had too many complications, too obese, etc. The first person he did the DS on (yes, his first) was someone no one else would touch - more than 500 pounds, was in heart failure, and many other co-morbidities. When they decided to move forward with the surgery they did so knowing that he could very well die on the table - not from the DS itself but from complications.

I had my surgery 14+ years ago. I had life-threatened sleep apnea that is completely gone, no more HBP, no sign of diabetes. I am still within 10 pounds of my goal weight.

I don't know of any books to recommend but I'd be happy to chat with you about the DS. Send me a message if you are so inclined.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

Katetolov
on 8/16/17 8:42 pm

Hi Janet it's Katie. I'd love to talk more ... thank you ! 14 plus years is amazing !!!! All my best,K

PeteA
on 8/15/17 8:07 pm - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

I haven't read the book. No doubt there have been a couple of hack surgeons over the years that caused issues for all their patients and you do hear, once in a while of people having problems.

For myself I'm 4 yeras out and no problems related to the DS. Mostly I'm dealing with leftover issues from when my diabetes was not in good control pre-op and even those complications look to be behind me.

Is it easy - NO - is it a nightmare - Absolutely NOT. First 6 months are the hardest when you are getting used to things.

It sounds like you might need someone experienced in DS revisions if there is a lot of damage left behind by the band but quite a few people go through it and do great.

Not sure this helps, just know a lot of us are thankful everyday for our new lives that the DS gave us the chance to live.

Pete

HW 552 CW 198 SW 464 4/15/13 - Lap DS by Dr. Philip Schauer - Cleveland Clinic.

Katetolov
on 8/16/17 8:41 pm

Many thanks you's for the wisdom xo

Most Active
Recent Topics
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 6 replies · 361 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 135 views
How can I gain weight?
DEJanieT · 7 replies · 1051 views