Brand new to this forum -- seeking info about DS

babettes_feast
on 9/12/17 2:21 pm

Greetings everyone!

I had a VSG 7 years ago and have gained all my weight back. I'm shocked, depressed, ashamed, angry and frustrated. I did so beautifully for 4 years then wa**** with a series of losses: my father died, my mother's dementia became so severe she doesn't know me; I was dx'd w/MS; lost a job I dearly loved then, had rotator cuff surgery; dh was laid off but is now back to work. I guess I ate my way through my stress.

I have found a few local surgeons online who will do a DS. Do you think one will do it with a case like mine? And many years after the initial surgery?

Many thanks one and all!

PattyL
on 9/12/17 5:51 pm

Of course they will. And the VSG is just another diet with a smaller stomach. The DS works. You will be very happy you did it.

nedsmehlp
on 9/12/17 9:15 pm - Hutchinson, KS

I'm so sorry for everything you have had to go through. That would send anyone into depression! I had a VSG 9 years ago and gained a lot of my weight back. I had a revision to a DS with Dr. Keshishian on April 7th of this year. It was the best decision I ever made! I only wish I had done it years ago. Good Luck! Make sure you find a surgeon that does the traditional DS. I had to travel from Kansas to California to find the right Dr.

Please keep us informed on what you decide.

(deactivated member)
on 9/12/17 11:33 pm
babettes_feast
on 9/13/17 7:42 am

Thanks to everyone! My original surgeon doesn't do the DS, but others in my area (Boston) do. I'm going to visit my original surgeon and ask her what my options are, then I'm getting another opinion from a practice that does do the DS. Grateful for the support on these boards.

Janet P.
on 9/13/17 8:13 am

First off - your screen name is one of my favorite movies!!

You're fortunate because you're not a revision. The VSG is simply the "first part" of the DS, when it's done in two stages. When you talk to the DS surgeon you should discuss the option of getting resleeved, because that will help with the restriction until it stretches out again (which it probably will).

The key with the DS is your commitment to a lifetime of vitamins, labs, eating properly for the DS (lots of protein and fats). The DS malabsorption is what keeps us from gaining the weight back. I'm 14+ years post op and still within 10 pounds of my original goal weight. I know my malabsorption still works. I also know my capacity has increased greatly (not to pre-op standards but it's definitely more than just a few ounces of food).

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

babettes_feast
on 9/13/17 8:21 am

Thanks so much Janet! I wondered who in these boards would be old enough to catch my screen name! Making my doctor's apps. today!

babettes_feast
on 9/13/17 10:42 am

Hi Janet -- What vitamins and other supplements do you take daily? Brands welcome! B.

Janet P.
on 9/14/17 3:36 am

The key with vitamins is you must take dry vitamins. Vitamins A, E, D & K are all oil soluble vitamins, which with the DS you will not absorb. IMHO Biotech is the best brand for dry vitamins, but there are others now. I get the majority of my vitamins from Amazon. Calcium is big for me and I take Citracal (12 per day - 4 3x per day). I take a multi vitamin twice a day, and also supplement with A, D, E, & K1 & K2, and a few other minerals. But remember everyone is different and everyone with the DS will have a different response to this question.

Unfortunately I have issues with calcium and iron, so I get iron infusions every couple of years to keep from getting anemic. Calcium in combination with D and K1/K2 helps to keep my PTH and calcium in normal range, but that's the biggest struggle for me. I was diagnosed with osteoporosis a couple of years ago so I'm keeping an eye on that. I tried reclast but that didn't really do anything.

Even given these issues I would still get the DS. I don't take any medication, only vitamins. My blood pressure is normal, as is my cholesterol. I no longer have sleep apnea and I'm not diabetic.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

larra
on 9/13/17 9:49 am - bay area, CA

Lots of people revise from VSG to DS. Hardly a week goes by that we don't see someone new here asking the same questions you are asking now. The restriction of the VSG doesn't last forever, and there is no malabsorption to back it up. Combine that with the stresses of life (and you've had more than your share) and living in an environment where food and food cues are everywhere, and here you are.

I doubt your appointment with the non-DS surgeon will accomplish anything for you. You will just be told to follow a low calorie, low carb, low fat diet, which, if it was sustainable forever, would work for everyone, and we know that isn't reality. In other words, you will be blamed for your "failure" when in reality, the operation was insufficient and failed you. And as far as DS surgeons goes, I don't know of any in the Boston area. At best you will find someone offering the non-standard of care SADI (aka SIPS, aka loop DS) which some people are happy with and others are having poor results. For a real, standard of care, 2 anastamosis DS you will probably need to travel, which many people do. The temporary inconvenience of travel is far outweighed by the excellent and lasting results of the DS. Morbid obesity is a chronic, lifetime disease, we need a treatment that lasts for life, not just for a few years. The DS is it.

Larra

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 244 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 732 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 244 views