energy level

TexasRattler78
on 9/26/17 5:49 am
DS on 09/05/17

I had the switch performed on 9/5/17 by Dr. Jay Roberts. I lost 40 lbs on my pre-op diet. I have lost 20 lbs since surgery. Overall weight loss of 60 lbs. Is it normal to have absolute zero energy? I figure with that amount of weight loss that my energy level would skyrocket, but I just don't have anything in the tank. I'm concerned. Thanks for any info y'all can provide.

PattyL
on 9/26/17 8:21 am

It's major surgery. Takes time to recover. Are you eating and drinking enough? Taking your vites and supplements?

TexasRattler78
on 9/26/17 12:20 pm
DS on 09/05/17

I am on what my doctor calls "mashable" food stage right now. I am not eating a lot of solid foods. I'm still relying on mainly protein shakes for my protein. I am taking all my vitamins and supplements. I also am having a difficult time getting in all the water also. I should also add that the doctor tightened up my sleeve which I have had for a couple of years, took out my gallbladder and fixed a hernia also, so quite a few things happened when he got inside. I'm just having a hard time knowing I've lost 60 lbs and don't feel much different energy wise from before I lost the weight. Maybe it's all in my head.

Valerie G.
on 9/27/17 4:17 pm, edited 9/27/17 9:18 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

If you're having problems with the fluids, that's going to keep your energy level from going anywhere but down. Fatigue, headaches and nausea are common symptoms of dehydration and if you don't get on top of it, you'll wind up in the hospital and they will all know that you were non-compliant with your after-care, so hang your head in shame. It was about six weeks post op that I started feeling like myself again, so you're almost there, but you've got to hydrate. 64oz is your bare minimum, NOT something to work up to.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Janet P.
on 9/26/17 10:34 am

You are barely 3 weeks from MAJOR surgery. It can take months to get back to 100%. You need to focus on fluids, and figuring out your eating. That can also take some time - what agrees with you, what doesn't, how much, etc. and this will continue to change for several months.

At this point you should be aiming for 30 grams of protein per day - it's a slow process. 30 grams of protein by 30 days post-op, 60 grams of protein by 60 days post-op, 90 grams by 90 days. For the first few months alot of this protein will come from supplements, but eventually it should come from food.

You also need to work your way up to the full complement of vitamins.

IMHO it takes a good 6 months to feel 100%. It's also a major adjustment living with the DS - learning how your body behaves with your supplements, vitamins, food, etc.

Not sure what your personal situation is - I took 4 weeks off work (I was fortunate to have great short term disability and tons of sick time), and then went back part time for two weeks. I remember the first day back, I came home and went right to bed - it was exhausting.

Patience!!

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

TexasRattler78
on 9/26/17 12:26 pm
DS on 09/05/17

I had 3 weeks off and my first day back to work was yesterday. I'm sure the energy will come back but just like everything I do in life I want everything NOW. I never used to have to make myself eat food or drink water. That is a very weird feeling to not want something.

PeteA
on 10/5/17 2:11 pm - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

It can be scary but for me that didn't last. Just long enough that I had to put my eating on a schedule because if left to my own feelings I wouldn't have bothered I found by looking at protein and liquid goals it didn't matter that I didn't feel like eating.

I was able to push through the day after about 3 weeks but I really wanted an afternoon nap for the first 5 or 6 weeks post-op. You should start seeing a turnaround soon with your energy levels but still like everyone said. Major surgery and you had a lot done.

Congrats - better every day from here on.

Pete

HW 552 CW 198 SW 464 4/15/13 - Lap DS by Dr. Philip Schauer - Cleveland Clinic.

Beam me up Scottie
on 9/26/17 8:25 pm
Yes.
Most Active
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 56 views
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 56 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 628 views
Need help for my mom