Boy we are different!

Valerie G.
on 10/5/17 7:33 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

I come out here every couple of days and scroll through this page, the general page and the VSG page. I helped fill the void with the VSG page when it first started and there weren't as many sleeve patients to answer questions. It pleases me today that they are now so active, but they're pretty cool cats so I stick around. What I've noticed is how much different it is to live with the DS.

I am still seeing calorie counting and low-fat suggestions. The worst is the focus on only eating 3 meals per day. I am always eating something every couple of hours. I eat more with the DS than I think I ever did before surgery. When I was about 2 years out I took a calorie count and was over 3000 calories. I can only imagine what I consume today, some 10 years later. I would regularly have a tub of shaved parmesan at my desk and I would eat it all in one day. People marvel at that and ask "how do you stay little eating THAT?". I reply that's not the bad thing for me to eat, and then point to the rice cakes on their desk as the bad thing. It's interesting, to say the least.

Feeding your DS is something that took some time to wrap my head around, but it's real. I eat protein-forward and am mindful of carbs, but not really counting them. Most days I'm pretty reasonable, but I do get ridiculous once in a while. After a lifetime of dieting, it's quite liberating, especially when I add extra butter.

Have a great day, y'all.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Janet P.
on 10/5/17 9:37 am

So spot on Val. I read the DS and General pages usually once or twice a day (just a nice break from work), but maybe I should start reading the VSG page as well.

I did notice this morning some discussion about meals and eating only 3 meals a day. I think I replied to someone the other day that it probably took me a good 2-3 years to finally embrace the DS 100% and able to push the old "diet" thoughts from my mind.

Can't imagine my life any other way (as I sit here eating a Jersey Mike's Roast Beef & Provolone sub with extra roast beef and mayo)!

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

Valerie G.
on 10/5/17 11:29 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

I believe that very post you speak of is what inspired me to write this one. I didn't really want to rub their noses in it, but all I kept saying to myself is "wow"

Valerie
DS 2005

PattyL
on 10/5/17 10:54 am

True! I am glad every day that I did not opt for the RNY or any of the just another diet with a smaller stomach surgeries.

larra
on 10/5/17 11:09 am - bay area, CA

Back before my DS, when I was on course for gastric bypass, what made me realize I would not have good results long term was the recommended (meaning required for long term success) post-op diet: 3 meals/day, no snacks, all meals to consist of only lean protein and, if there was room for them, veggies. That's it. For the rest of your life.

There may be people out there who can make that work, but I was honest enough with myself to recognize that I wasn't one of those people. I'm so glad I learned more about the DS and waited until I could get the surgery that was right for me. Eleven years later, still doing well and never any regrets.

Larra

Janet P.
on 10/5/17 12:00 pm

I was also on the RNY path. 15+ years ago one of my co-workers had the RNY. Fortunately when I called her surgeon, I was told they weren't currently taking my insurance and to call back in January (I think this was October). By January my PCP had recommended Elariny and that's when I heard about the DS. Also, said co-worker ultimately gained all her weight back - she never changed her eating habits!!

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

Sunshine16
on 10/6/17 6:09 am

Thanks for sharing, but have you found that you have gain 10 to 15 pounds over the 10 years or have you maintained?

SW / CW / GW 292 / 188 / 174 - Height 5'7, Size 10

Janet P.
on 10/6/17 7:12 am

I did gain about 10-15 pounds since surgery, but my lowest weight was 140 (which for me was way too low). I have maintained my weight loss (give or take 5 pounds) for almost 14 years.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

Valerie G.
on 10/6/17 11:16 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

My lowest was around 140 as well. I maintain without effort at 165 and a size 10. I ain't complain'n one bit.

Valerie
DS 2005

Sunshine16
on 10/7/17 10:29 am

165 pounds is a good weight, how tall are you?

I'm 185, at I hate to admit size 12, but have size 10. ideally I would like to be a size 8, and I am working on it. My lowest was 164, but it only last for an extremely small amount of time. Even if I get down to 174, I would be happy. I am 5'7, really 6'65

SW / CW / GW 292 / 188 / 174 - Height 5'7, Size 10

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 242 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 730 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 244 views