(deactivated member)
on 1/1/18 11:48 pm, edited 5/22/18 10:01 pm

Sunshine16
on 1/2/18 6:20 am

High dosage of Probiotic works for me.

No pure milk products...I still eat cheese, but not as bad and I am conscious of it..

SW / CW / GW 292 / 188 / 174 - Height 5'7, Size 10

Valerie G.
on 1/2/18 8:48 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

So I take it the surgeons promoting SADI for less gas isn't working out in real life! Oh well, that means you're more like the rest of us, so here's what I've seen over the last 12 years or so of DSers since SADI hasn't been around half that long:

I cannot tolerate milk at all. The gas comes fast and peels paint, then diarrhea a couple of hours later, so it's never worth it. That being said, cheese, half&half and heavy cream do fine for me so I can bank on some precious fat and protein, still. I cant imagine getting my protein in without cheese!

Flour is a common gas demon for all of us. Onions for me are a special form of torture for me and my loved ones, and it was once a staple in my life at every meal. It took me a couple of years to figure that one out. Those artificial sweeteners are another demon, some worse than others. If I want sweet I'll now just have plain sugar or stevia if its around. Nothing more artificial if I can help it.

Another thing to consider is your consumption of probiotic foods (or pills). I can notice by the smell of my gas and stools if my gut bacteria is getting out of balance. It's a distinct sour smell that hangs around a long time. Many take pills that contain a bazillion bugs, but I prefer raw unfiltered Apple-cider vinegar (ACV), with the mother (that's the cloudy film on the bottom of the bottle - natural goodness for your gut). A 1-2oz shot of ACV every couple of days keeps my system in good health. I started using ACV by drinking Dr.Bragg ACV drinks, but they got pricey so I looked up recipes on how to make them myself at home. I was making my own grape and ginger spice drinks in no time. Over time I got lazy and just started braving a quick shot like you would a medicine. I make a face and chase it down with something else, but it's quick and does the trick.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

(deactivated member)
on 1/3/18 11:21 am
Beam me up Scottie
on 1/4/18 5:54 pm
I don't know, I don't' have issues with white flour or artificial sweeteners (except -ols).

The only thing that sets me off is TOO much fat and dairy (i've been lactose intolerance since I was a teen).

You may want to try a round of Flagyl. Your PCP can give it to you, Dr. R is not a big fan. You can also buy it through the internet (or if you go to Mexico in the near future they sell it everywhere).

Scott

FYI: Probiotics give me more gas.

Scott
Janet P.
on 1/5/18 6:34 am

I just replied to Babette's Feast's post about this very subject. We are all different but you did mention sugar alcohols. I absolutely do not touch anything with sugar alcohols. Major gas and stink and pain. White flour doesn't bother me much (sometimes I wi**** did).

We are all different. I know you're 3 years post-op but things change. Tolerances change.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 297 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 769 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 255 views