Let's talk about poop

babettes_feast
on 1/3/18 3:21 pm

So I'm part of a FB group about the DS and its relatives (no shaming those who choose other options, please) and there a lot of poop and fart talk. So I need the straight story here: am I going to ruin a dinner party, send other bathroom users running for their lives at the symphony, destroy my entire social and professional life? Will poops be well formed or am I destined to a life of really messy poops? And what about the flatulance. How much? How often?

I feel this is the one area I need to get prepared for so I thank you in advance.

(deactivated member)
on 1/3/18 11:09 pm
Beam me up Scottie
on 1/4/18 5:47 pm
I think you can get the answers for this by reading through a couple of pages of this forum. We answer it regularly.

Poop won't rule your life, gas won't rule your life, etc.

Scott
Janet P.
on 1/5/18 6:22 am

It will not ruin your life. For us DSers it is critical that you learn how foods affect you. As you start your journey and as you evolve, you will know what causes gas and bad poop, and what doesn't. We're all different so my issues may not be as bad as your issues. Perfect example for me is ice cream. I can eat really good quality, high fat ice cream (haggen daz or Graetters) but I don't go near cheap ice cream because it goes right through me.

When I know I'm going out or to a party, etc., I simply stick to high protein foods and avoid the carbs I know I will have issues with. Same with work and meetings. If there is an issue, I always carry Ozium or Poo-Pourri. I also take Devrom on a regular basis, which helps me with odor.

Please don't panic. Also remember that everyone's poop stinks. It's just that ours is a little more pungent. You will learn to live your life with your DS and embrace it.

Honestly if I'm out and use a public bathroom, I really don't care what others think, but that's just me ;)

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

PeteA
on 1/6/18 3:00 pm - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

It hasn't been a life changer for me. First 6 months were the worst but after that very variable depending on what I am eating.

First BM's Mine can be solid to a pudding consistency. Sometimes dependent on liquid intake. I find that much preferable to the people that get constipated. Never watery unless I've sugar binged or I'm sick. If my life is running to schedule one or 2 in the morning and then good for the day. The holidays are hard to stay regular, different eating times, different foods but I get by.

I may have to go again about a half hour after whenever I exercise. Again, the longer out I am the less of a problem this is but it caused a lot of anxiety when I first started biking and swimming.

I never had a problem with gas at work, it is usually a precursor to knowing a BM is coming so I take it as a sign to look for the bathroom. It's been a long time since I had to find the rest room in "emergency" mode or hope I was away from a crowd. Just like pre-op it can be hit or miss if it is very smelly or hardly noticeable.

On another note I just don't see as much of an issue on this site for people that have had a DS alternative. We do ask because sometimes it is relevant and sometime we are just curious but we all want people to make the best of whatever tool they choose. There is an emotional investment for all of us that what we chose was the "best" for it can be forgotten how different everyone is but a lot of the issues and solutions are the same so everyone should be welcome.

HW 552 CW 198 SW 464 4/15/13 - Lap DS by Dr. Philip Schauer - Cleveland Clinic.

babettes_feast
on 1/6/18 3:43 pm

Thanks for your answers everyone. I know this territory is well-trodden, but it's new to me so I appreciate your patience and thorough answers.

Valerie G.
on 1/8/18 6:16 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

12 year vet here, ready to report the real life of a DSer.

I am a corporate trainer, so being in front of groups at work is common for me. Not once have I had an embarrassing moment post-DS in that respect. Not that gas and poop doesn't happen, but that I have more control than people elude to, and that is by knowing how certain foods affect me and I have a strict rule of no experimental eating at work.

As for poop, with clean eating, I poop first thing in the morning and that's it for the day. Consistency is loose and not very formed usually, but that doesn't mean I'm running to the toilet in a panic. It just means that it's loose and often varies by what I ate the day before.

It does take some time to figure out what triggers reactions of gas and poop. While individual reactions vary, the most common triggers for gas from foods are simple carbs (flours and sugars), artificial sweeteners (affect even non-wls people, but us even easier), and dairy (for me, it's just straight milk - other dairy like cheese isn't a problem). Add a few random veggies, like onions for me (which in excess causes horrible gas and diarrhea).

I took 8 weeks off work for my surgery. This gave me some time to try foods to see how they affected me. When I returned to work, I would have my safe foods and not have any workplace issues. I would try new things in the evening and on the weekends, but always stuck to the safe foods for work.

Another thing to be aware of is the bacteria in the gut. This is something that RNY and DS alike seem to be prone to (bacterial imbalance), which causes extra stinky gas and stool. Many take daily probiotic pills to keep the gut bugs in check. I do it naturally with fermented foods and apple-cider vinegar (ACV). I take a shot of ACV twice a week and I'm good. I can tell by the odor of gas and stool (slightly sour) and texture of stool that my body needs more. It's the best I can explain, but I just 'know'.

That's pretty much the down and dirty from an old-timer. Yes, those rumors can be true, but an educated DSer is in complete control of this pretty much from the second month post-op.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Janet P.
on 1/8/18 11:05 am

Val - best line ever -- "That's pretty much the down and dirty from an old-timer. Yes, those rumors can be true, but an educated DSer is in complete control of this pretty much from the second month post-op."

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 156 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 695 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 237 views