What was I thinking???

apw0
on 3/14/18 9:41 am - Doylestown, PA

I did not make a good decision last night, and I paid for it.....dearly!!! I had company for dinner last night, and it was very casual. Just my brother, and my significant other. I roasted some turkey legs, and had veggies, and stuffing with gravy, for the guys. Well, the only thing I can think, is that I got a little ****y. For reasons that I can't figure out, I decided that it would be ok for me to have 1/2 cup of full fat peanut butter ripple ice cream. My NUT told me that dairy might give me a little gastrointestinal distress. SHE WASN'T KIDDING!! If I had a nickel every time I used the rest room last night, I would have about $1. SHEESH!! I almost missed 'This Is Us', I spent so much time in the bathroom. So this morning, guess what's in the trash?? I will think twice before I do that nonsense again!

(deactivated member)
on 3/14/18 3:19 pm

At least you threw it out this morning! I think most of us have eaten something we shouldn't and been there. ð?¤--

Janet P.
on 3/15/18 3:26 am

I have learned with ice cream that the better quality the easier it is. Can't eat store brands or any lesser quality. I do OK with Haggen Daas or Graeters, but otherwise I won't go near it.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

PeteA
on 3/15/18 6:35 am - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

Bummer. You might try frozen yogurt next time you get the yen. For the first year that worked out much better for me, not that happened a lot. :)

apw0
on 3/15/18 9:30 am - Doylestown, PA

I think that for right now, any ice cream is off limits for me. I'm not even 2 months out yet from my revision, so I need to just pump my brakes. When I had my surgery, he didn't touch my stomach, so I figured I would be ok. Boy, was i wrong! It seems that I'm having the same issue with anything that has a lot of sugar. I realize that's the whole premise behind the DS, so I'm definitely learning what I can eat, and what I can't/shouldn't eat. The good news though, is that I'm down 31 lbs!

Beam me up Scottie
on 3/17/18 4:47 pm
Just a piece of friendly advice. Eating simple sugars when you are so new out of surgery is a mistake. You are sabotaging your weight loss. I did have any simple sugars until I was about 6 months out and down about 200 lbs.
apw0
on 3/17/18 6:48 pm - Doylestown, PA

Thanks for the great advice. That's just what I needed to hear. I certainly didn't go through a second surgery to sabotage my weight loss. It's going to be slow as it is, because I had a revision 7 years later. I don't want to help that along. So I thank you for your safe advice. That's why I love this site!

just_like_you
on 3/19/18 9:51 am - Dallas, TX

I'm a bit confused when you say avoiding sugars is the whole premise of the DS. That is not true. Perhaps it was the premise of your previous surgery. The BP/DS leaves the stoma intact which should prevent the extreme reaction to sugars.

Your previous surgery may have changed this for you, but it's worth investigating.

Good luck in your new voyage.

apw0
on 3/19/18 2:41 pm - Doylestown, PA

Well....it has certainly been true for me. I had no problem with simple sugars when I had my sleeve. But since my revision, my stomach talks to me, I have terrible gas, bad belly pain, and within 8 hours, I'm in the bathroom. And not just once or twice! I'm not complaining. I would rather have a negative reaction. That way, I'll think twice before I eat it.

kc574
on 3/18/18 11:22 am - Bristol, IN

Thanks for sharing your experience. I'm new to using this site and still in the preop prep stage.

I've changed how eat so significantly these last few months... however a couple weeks ago I was in the store and bought ice cream on an impulse. It wasn't a good experience but I'm glad I did it because it was a good reminder of what I'm coming out of and what I don't want to mess with.

Thanks again for sharing. By the way my ice cream also ended up in the trash.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 121 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 663 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 234 views