11 years post op, regained after 2 years..where to go from here?

Dutchy
on 4/8/18 6:48 pm - stittsville, Canada

It has been years s8nce I've posted. I am 11 years post op, starting weight 305 lowest weight 190 achieved at 2 years post op, it didn't last long, regained around 90 pounds, lost and gained the same 40 pounds over the last 8 years. Done every eating plan, keto, lchf, if, my surgeon is willing to relseave me but I am hisitant, I still am convinced I didn't and don't malabsorb ... anyone else here been resleaved? I am now type 2 diabetic just diagnosed, have high blood pressure and cholesterol Prior to ds and still have it, I am now 50 and I am seriously scared about my health, I feel time is running out.. looking for some advice maybe someone else has been through what I have?

PeteA
on 4/9/18 8:06 am - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

Welcome back. I'm sorry things are going poorly for you. We can at least offer support and maybe some helpful suggestions.

While I don't think the resleeve is a bad idea but if they are going in I wonder if there is anything else from your first surgery that they should look at. Did you ever get your post-op report? I'm wondering what they listed as your CC and AL length. Eleven years, I wonder what changes have been made in the procedure, maybe something they did was an issue for malabsorption??

If we set aside malabsorption then the resleeve will at least give you restriction for you to maybe get ahead of your decline.

How have your labs been over the years? Do you still do a regular DS vitamin regimen? Mostly wondering if that would give some concrete evidence of malabsorption working or not working.

Not to throw another diet at you but I've seen some DS'rs do well with a combination of Intermittent Fasting and what would basically be a high protein diet. Maybe something to look at.

Pete

HW 552 CW 198 SW 464 4/15/13 - Lap DS by Dr. Philip Schauer - Cleveland Clinic.

Janet P.
on 4/9/18 12:54 pm

Glad you came back and hopefully you'll find some answers. I think Pete made some good suggestions. Have you had a discussion with your surgeon? This may be a loaded question but are you absolutely positive you were given the DS? Pete's suggestion about seeing your op report would give you some answers (unless you know for sure what your common channel length is and everything else your surgeon did). I only asked the question because we have seen/heard people being told they're given the DS but turns out no necessarily.

The only thing resleeving would do is help you with restriction, but if you had the DS you should still be malabsorbing (again depending on the length of your CC). Hopefully someone will respond but I don't know anyone who had the DS who has been resleeved.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

Beam me up Scottie
on 4/11/18 7:08 pm
Who is your surgeon and have you seen a surgery report? The fact that you developed diabetes post DS is unusual (to say the least), the DS (without the sleeve) has been used as a "cure" for diabetes for people that were of a normal weight.

I'd get a copy of your surgical report and get a 2nd opinion. You may need all of the above (smaller sleeve and a shorter common channel, but I'd want to know what you had first).

BTW was for diet: KETO, ATKINS, LOW CARB etc...that is the best choice for us.

Scott
airbender
on 4/15/18 1:40 pm

I think since you started regaining 2 years after, this is most likely do to your improper limb lengths.(if you had a good DS diet, not like eating ring dings and hohos daily.) Did you have the Hess method? So you didnt have type 2 diabetes before? hmmm....to me...it all points to not having the correct limbs....call Dr A Keshishian once you get your operative report.

If you have a specific question for me, PM me or I will not see it, as I don't check responses on the forums and don't have anything forwarded to my email.

sunshine1968
on 5/7/18 1:22 pm

Hi Dutchy! I am sorry you are going through this. I am in a similar situation. I had surgery 5 years ago. i am 5"3 and went from 320 down to 185 and didnt lose another pound. Never got down to goal. I was extremely strict during that first year-year and half so it was incredibly frustrating. Then the weight just started coming back at the end of year 2 and after that. I have now gained 40lbs and am back up to 225. I noticed that as my PTH went up that my weight did also and I have read that hyperpara can cause weight gain so I think that's some of it and also the fact that I eventually became frustrated with my weight loss and started eating more carbs. I take ownership of that. That said, I do think the reason why I never got to goal was because my doc did not use the HESS method. He did a 5 oz sleeve with a 100cm common channel for all patients. I have also read that for shorter stature folks that the one size fits all method can prevent folks from losing as much weight as they could with the HESS. Needless to say, I have to get this under control-either through a change in my eating or a modification to my surgery. I would be curious to hear what you find out about what can be done. I think Dr. Keshshian is probably the guy to go to-from what I have read regarding revisions. Please let me know how you are doing and if you find a solution for yourself. I am sorry your struggling. I know the pain that can come with that. Perhaps it's a common channel issue for you. I dont know if your doc did a one size fits all surgery but if he or she did, that could have played role in your situation.

Most Active
Recent Topics
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 6 replies · 355 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 133 views
How can I gain weight?
DEJanieT · 7 replies · 1049 views