Keto

jndrake
on 7/6/18 5:00 pm - Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, Canada
VSG on 12/10/13

Hi, I know this is my second post tonight but I haven't been on here for a while and I've been thinking about some things lately and wanted to know what people think about going into ketosis with the DS. Do people do it? Is it safe? I know it focuses on high fat moderate protein and low carb but I'm wondering since we malabsorb so much of our fat, it is safe to do keto? My hubby is doing it now and I'm doing low carb but not keto- haven't been able to give up my wine lol

"You're off to great places today is your day your mountain is waiting so get on your way.Oh the Places you'll go" Dr.Seuss

PattyL
on 7/7/18 8:50 am

Call it keto, call it Atkins, low carb is low carb and that's good for us. Ketosis is good for us. All it really means is we are forcing our bodies to burn fat for fuel.

hollykim
on 7/7/18 4:29 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On July 7, 2018 at 12:00 AM Pacific Time, jndrake wrote:

Hi, I know this is my second post tonight but I haven't been on here for a while and I've been thinking about some things lately and wanted to know what people think about going into ketosis with the DS. Do people do it? Is it safe? I know it focuses on high fat moderate protein and low carb but I'm wondering since we malabsorb so much of our fat, it is safe to do keto? My hubby is doing it now and I'm doing low carb but not keto- haven't been able to give up my wine lol

no diet is going to help as long as you drink wine. It is pure sugar and will cause your weight loss to stop and gain to start.

Janet P.
on 7/8/18 3:44 am

What everyone else said. During the weight loss phase low carb is important. You say "moderate" protein. How much protein are you getting in?

Also agree about the wine. I enjoy wine now but I didn't touch alcohol until I had gotten to goal weight. Probably a full's day allotment of carbs in your glass of wine.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

PeteA
on 7/9/18 8:44 am - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

No biggie. On the whole ketosis can be a good thing. Personally, I found it unnecessary with a low carb regimen. If I was in ketosis or not wasn't really something I looked for because, hey protein first and low carb seemed to do the trick and an occasional side trip to a piece of cake or some fruit wasn't something I was willing to give up as long as I made steady progress (all things come into question during a stall :) ).

You can push your initial weight loss to a quicker loss several ways, Atkins type eating, exercise / activity increase, low carbs etc.

Some people that have maintained for a while seem to find Intermittent fasting as helpful but they are careful to makes sure they get all their protein in.

You can do it!

Pete

HW 552 CW 198 SW 464 4/15/13 - Lap DS by Dr. Philip Schauer - Cleveland Clinic.

Liz J.
on 7/10/18 6:55 am
DS on 11/29/16

When I stalled I went to Keto and it help me get back on track. I was doing less than 20 carbs a day, hitting my protein and fat goals for the day. It helped me hit my three year goal weight in 18 months. Then I did some maintenance which for me is 50-100 carbs a day. Now I'm back on Keto so I can get to my long term, end all be all goal. One day a week I do 50-100 carbs, it's my high intensity gym/walk day.

This last Sunday was my high intensity day. I walked 2 miles with one of my dog**** the gym for an hour of weightlifting, then went to Six Flags to play Pokemon and eat lunch with my hubby. All in all I walked 9 miles, ate 98 carbs (net) and still lost weight last week. I only do Keto for 3-4 weeks max then I hit maintence for a week or two and back to Keto.

This might not work for everyone but it's working for me and I've been doing it this way for just at a year.

7/1/16 HW 398.8

11/29/16 SW 356 (I think that's right)

7/9/18 CW 167.7

GW 155

Once I hit goal weight I'll go to maintenance for a month and see if I can keep my weight steady, then evaluate and adjust.

I'm very lucky that I have a good friend that is a certified nutritionist, licensed physical therapist, and certified personal trainer. She helped me when I stalled and got me interested in Keto. It's helped so much.

Liz

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 274 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 748 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 250 views