3 days post-op, lots of questions

Tashag3480
on 7/14/18 5:22 pm
DS on 07/11/18

hey all! I had my surgery Wednesday the 11th. I had to stay 3 nights because I was not doing well with liquids and I was battling a low HR (30-40 at times). But now I am finally home and almost have my 64oz of liquids in. Question: If I have to go some where for a while during the day, what is the easiest way to stay on track with liquids? Does liquid intake get easier sooner? Also, I was under for almost 3 hours. I am still having trouble with vision. I can see long distances but up close things are blurred, especially if I'm trying to read something. I have minimal pain but lots of gas. How did you all handle your first few days post-op?

Janet P.
on 7/15/18 3:42 am
On July 15, 2018 at 12:22 AM Pacific Time, Tashag3480 wrote:

hey all! I had my surgery Wednesday the 11th. I had to stay 3 nights because I was not doing well with liquids and I was battling a low HR (30-40 at times). But now I am finally home and almost have my 64oz of liquids in. Question: If I have to go some where for a while during the day, what is the easiest way to stay on track with liquids? Does liquid intake get easier sooner? Also, I was under for almost 3 hours. I am still having trouble with vision. I can see long distances but up close things are blurred, especially if I'm trying to read something. I have minimal pain but lots of gas. How did you all handle your first few days post-op?

Congrats! You just had MAJOR surgery. Recovering just from sedation can take a week or more. Gas is very very common as well. They blow you up (assume your surgery was lap) so that's probably the gas you're feeling. It will get better. Sleep, rest, sip, repeat. Your body has to recover.

Drinking can be a struggle. Just keep sipping. Always have a bottle of water with you, and I mean always. I like bottles (or something with measurements) because you can then track exactly how much you're drinking.

The first couple of weeks the only thing you should be thinking about is staying hydrated and resting/recovering. Do not let yourself get dehydrated (especially with it being summer).

Your body will tell you when to move to the next step. Listen to it. Follow your surgeon's instructions with regard to eating/introducing foods. Call your surgeon about the vision issues.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

Valerie G.
on 7/15/18 5:38 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

When you go anywhere, go packing. For years I always had a 64oz cup with me at work. My colleagues named my cup "my precious". At first it took me all darned day to conquer it. The second year and today, I can drain it in the morning.

The first few weeks for me I was in a total fog. The pictures on the tv moved too fast. I napped on and off, sipping constantly.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Crazeru
on 7/20/18 1:06 pm

Take your water with you where ever you go. I was hungry every hour, but could only eat a few bites. KFC nuggests dipped in sauce would be 3 meals, a piece of halibut at Long John Silvers would be 3 little meals. Later I kept nuts and jerky in my purse to snack on. I still keep 1 or 3 protein bars in my purse.

Remember little sips every 5 mins. Sip, Sip, Sip, then 5 min later repeat. Eventually, you'll be able to drink more than little sips.

Chris
HW/225 - 5'1" ~ SW/205/after surgery 215 ~ CW/145~ BMI-25.8~Normal BMI 132 ~DS Dr Rabkin 4/17/08
Plastics in Monterrey - See Group on OH Dr Sauceda Jan 13, 2011
LBL, BL, small thigh lift, arms & a full facelift on 1/17/11
UBL 1/21/13
Love my Body by Sauceda

Most Active
Recent Topics
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 6 replies · 362 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 135 views
How can I gain weight?
DEJanieT · 7 replies · 1051 views