Fixing My Metabolism

Liz J.
on 7/24/18 10:51 am
DS on 11/29/16

So, I'm working hard a fixing my metabolism. It's been a long road and I think I've finally made some headway. I started going to the gym back in Dec. 2017 a minimum of three times a week doing strength training. I find that I'm eating more calories and still losing weight.

What I want to know has anyone else done this and what did you do? Anything I could improve?

I'm on Keto, drinking over 100 oz of water a day, walking 5 miles every day, getting in 120g of protein or more, and eating over 1,600 calories a day. Which is amazing, since I was stalled eating much less last year at this time.

HW 6/6/2016 398.8

SW 11/29/2016 368

CW 7/24/2018 160

GW was 155, not sure if I'll lower it at this point but I might!)

Liz Johnston

HW: 398.8 SW:356 GW: 175 CW:147

PattyL
on 7/24/18 1:43 pm

I started running. Did much more for me than walking and it cut down on the time invested. I sort of used couch to 5K but the basic idea is to alternate walking and running till you can run the whole 5 miles. And it is doable!

Liz J.
on 7/24/18 2:22 pm
DS on 11/29/16

I walk mostly on my breaks at work. I walk in my work clothes before work, during work and right after if my steps are not at 5 miles. I'll ask my doctor about the running, then look at the app, a friend of mine said it was good.

Thanks,

Liz

chevtow41
on 7/26/18 6:00 pm
DS on 11/11/14

Lift more walk/run less. Weights will add muscle and transform your body in a different way. Plus after I lift I'm hungry and need to feed my recovering muscles. I don't count calories but I bet I'm 2500-3000 daily. I eat a lot. Being a man makes a difference there I'm sure.

How tall are you? If you're 5'4" you're fine to keep dropping. If you're 6' you'll be underweight. BMI can be a guide just not the end all/ be all

(deactivated member)
on 7/28/18 9:24 am, edited 7/28/18 2:29 am

Excercise is literally money in the bank regarding metabolism. I find many years after my main athletic efforts that

21) I still have the endurance grace speed and joy from doing the activity

2)my largely muscular body still burns a bonfire of calories resting or especially in action ... but that I can literally eat whatever I want if I swim or walk that day and still lose a dress size each week .

3) it?s great to be a comfortable four girlie size..( I?m a tall grrl nearly six feet) . but even feels better to rock a multiple triangle bikini as a size zero or double zero . just because I can .

Even once a year,it feels like a real body and health accomplishment after i've swum a couple of weeks to achieve it.

Liz J.
on 7/31/18 1:21 pm
DS on 11/29/16

I do go to the gym three days a week and lift weights. I'll look into adding more weight training, maybe increasing my duration at the gym might help.

Thanks everyone!

Liz Johnston

Beam me up Scottie
on 7/31/18 8:07 pm
Sounds like you are doing fine!

First 2 years it's really easy to keep off weight. Just stay with your program, don't let carbs "sneak" back into your life. Carb cravings are like giving a mouse a cookie.....You give it a cookie and it wants the whole package........biscuits and with Jelly for breakfast....a bowl of pasta for lunch.....the pint of ice cream in the freezer, 3 chocolate bars, and a bag of chips.

I find that if I stay away from sugary foods and salty snack foods..... I won't crave them, if I start eating a lot of them (cookies, cereal, ice cream, chips etc), I crave them all the time.

So if you want to keep up the good work...stay away from those foods.

Regain doesn't happen in one day......weight comes on much more slowly for us, but it does come on if you constantly eat simple carbs.
Liz J.
on 8/1/18 3:16 pm
DS on 11/29/16

I keep my carbs below 50 net almost every day. Only once in a while will I go higher, to be honest most days I don't hit 40. Carbs are about 10% of my total intake a day. When I do a higher carb day, it's never more than 100 and it's when I do a lot of working out and walking. I try to only have one of those days a month because I find the day after to be hard. I would love to go lower carb but my body shuts off at anything lower than 30, so that is my baseline for carbs.

I have a few things that I can eat and still stay under if I want something such as the Quest Chip, I'll only buy one bag for a treat so they are not always around the house or I'll buy one for meal planning maybe a taco night. Everything else is low carb, normal fat, high protein.

My husband and I've talked that this is the way we will be eating for the rest of our lives and we are both good with that. Last night I had three tiny (talking 28g total) of potatoes and that was a huge treat, still came in a 38 net carbs for the day.

I go to support group but the leaders cringe when I talk about Keto, it's a fad diet... but are totally okay with me saying I eat my protein first, then low carb veggies, and maybe then a carb. It's the same thing... Anyway, I totally get the regain as I've seen it in my group. That's one of the reasons I keep going, it keeps me on track.

Thanks,

Liz Johnston

Most Active
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 95 views
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 95 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 648 views
Need help for my mom