Gastric Bypass to DS

tylerstuart
on 8/21/18 6:40 pm, edited 8/21/18 7:19 pm
DS on 08/06/18

I recently had my gastric bypass reversed and then got the The single-anastomosis duodenal switch. My surgery date was on 8/6/2018

2 Questions

1. I need food ideas as I am very picky and hate protein shakes. Can I eat ANY fruit besides bananana.
  2. For the past couple days I keep fluctuating between 280-282 - How do I make this stop and make the weight drop? GW is 200.

MarinaGirl
on 8/21/18 8:11 pm

FYI to folks reading this post, OP did not get a standard of care DS; instead, s/he got a SADI or SIPS procedure, which insurance companies consider experimental. Recent studies are also showing that fat malabsorption disappears after 1 year, unlike a true DS.

Since your window for losing the most weight is 1 year, you should focus on dense protein and non-starchy vegetables. You may want to minimize fruit consumption until you reach your goal weight.

You're only 2 weeks post-op so a 2 lb fluctuation is not something to be overly concerned with right now. Most/all people gain weight after surgery due to the fluids pumped into your body during surgery and afterwards. I recommend you stay off the scale for the first month and just focus on your surgeon's eating plan and getting optimal hydration everyday.

tylerstuart
on 8/21/18 8:13 pm
DS on 08/06/18

Whats wrong with the SADI? This is what my doctor said would be best for me.

Janet P.
on 8/22/18 5:55 am

Nothing wrong, just a little different than the standard DS.

Forget about weight fluctuations right now - you're still too fresh from surgery.

Depending on your surgeon's orders, good foods are cottage cheese, eggs, yogurt (greek), tuna, shrimp or other seafood, fish. Take your time on beef/chicken - those may be too dense so early out.

Stay away from fruit (too high in carbs and no protein).

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

Marquismark
on 8/23/18 12:34 pm
DS on 12/10/15

Thre MAY be nothing wrong with it, but it's so new we don't yet. It's just a question of whether you're willing to be a guinea pig...

Sleeve to DS revision by Dr. Gary Belzberg. Highest Weight (pre-sleeve): 325 (40.6 BMI) DS Revision Surgery Weight: 295 (36.7 BMI) Current Weight: 235 (29.5 BMI) 6'3"

PeteA
on 8/24/18 6:10 am - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

Don't get lost in the SADI/DS discussion. It makes little difference in your day to day routine
this early out and later on seems variable just like some people with a standard DS.

1) Did they do a sleeve too? Are you experiencing any restriction? This will change ideas
for protein. At 2 weeks out I was big on cottage cheese, chobani yogurt. I couldn't stand
pre-mixed protein shakes but liked Optimum Nutrition mixed with water. You might also try Jay Robb
which is based on eggs instead of whey. Wendy's chilli when you are ready for a little more
substantial but not full on meat.
I do a lot of beef and cheese sticks as snacks.

What is your Doc saying about introducing food, any plan from him?

2) This depends on a multitude of things. How much have you lost since the conversion? What are you eating regularly? Are you hydrated enough? Low carbs? Sometimes stalls happen and you have to wait them out but keep plugging away but we need a little more info to be helpful.

Pete

HW 552 CW 198 SW 464 4/15/13 - Lap DS by Dr. Philip Schauer - Cleveland Clinic.

Valerie G.
on 8/25/18 1:35 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

Ricotta cheese and egg custard were my early high protein go-to's. You should really stay away from ALL fruit for a year. Yes, it has fiber and a few vitamins (that we can replace with pills) but it's sole existence is the purest form of natural sugar...SUGAR...which is bad for anyone trying to lose weight.

For weight - put your scale under the bed for a week. Pick a day of the week to weight yourself every week. Weigh at the same time of day too. That way you get a true account of your progress.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active
Recent Topics
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 6 replies · 364 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 137 views
How can I gain weight?
DEJanieT · 7 replies · 1051 views